Fibers Technology Group Leader
- Lead and coach a group of scientists and engineers.
- Develop and maintain technical capabilities and competencies needed to support the business today and in the future, including tow characterization, filter design, tow and filter analysis, mathematical modeling of filters, filter performance data analysis, and analytical testing as needed to support tow and filter work.
- Responsible and accountable for achieving the group’s project milestones and contributing to the deliverables of the organization.
- Facilitate and direct project teams; keep projects on schedule and on budget, and ensure data quality.
- Develop a strong collaborative working relationship with internal partners
- Be knowledgeable of relevant historical literature and keep abreast of latest advances in technical field as well have broad understanding of relevant supporting technologies.
- Maintain awareness of global regulatory issues that would impact our customers and thereby our product offerings.
- Contribute to business strategy by championing technology based observations and recommendations.
- Maintain technical contact with customer R&D communities; interface on potential projects, provide filter science training, etc.
- Connect Eastman technology capabilities to customer market needs.
- Participate on technical teams focused on corporate growth programs as well as efforts to improve quality and reliability.
- Champion development of new technologies/methods and lead the efforts to implement them.
- Champion intellectual property protection by means consistent with business objectives
Ph.D. in Engineering, Polymer Science, Materials Science, Chemistry
· Organizational leadership with proven track record to develop and execute technology strategies.
- 10-15 years' relevant experience and track record of leading large groups and/or technical teams working on research or development projects, preferably in the tobacco industry
- Demonstrated ability to coach and develop employees, to recognize good performance, and to deal appropriately with performance issues.
- Strong business and marketing acumen
- Broad-based technical background with an ability to work effectively in a team environment.
- Demonstrated experience in managing complex technical programs with multi-disciplinary teams and with memberships that cross organizational boundaries
- Demonstrated capability to lead projects through innovation to commercialization. (either directly or through the work of group members)
- Motivated to develop company experts in relevant areas. Should be able to lead and engage other scientists and engineers and to lead or participate in multi-disciplinary product, process, or applications development teams.
- Should be an innovative and creative problem solver with strong scientific intuition, convictions and willingness to take risks and create transformational change.
- Ability to analyze, assess, critically evaluate and advise diverse business and R&D audiences on options for novel product, process, or applications.
- Demonstrated competency and ability to understand, distill, assimilate, and communicate complex scientific information and conclusions to diverse internal and external audiences.
- Strategic thinker with strong analytical skills and willingness to drive paradigm change.
- Capable of managing short-term and long-term projects demands while meeting timelines.
- Clear and effective written and oral communication and interpersonal skills.
- Familiarity with patenting, patent and literature searches, and other means of assessing and protecting intellectual propoerty
- Ability to effectively network with colleagues both inside and outside the company.