Reports To: Purchasing Director
The Buyer may be involved in all aspects of the company’s business, from development of new menu products, to finding costs savings, to corporate strategy and sourcing the best possible vendors with the most reasonable price for the value sought.
This individual must be able to multitask while paying great attention to detail. S/he must have a solid understanding of math, as well as excellent analytical skills.
A successful Buyer exudes confidence and is able to think quickly on his or her feet. S/he must be comfortable with enforcing the company’s policies and procedures, as well as have a good background in business and knowing how the organization functions internally.
- The Buyer must exercise discretion and independent judgment with respect to matters of significance, such as:
✓ Employee has authority to compare and evaluate possible courses of conduct and acting or making a decision after various possibilities have been considered.
✓ Employee, in conjunction with Purchasing Director has the authority to make an independent choice, free from immediate direction or supervision, such as:
✓ Employee has authority to formulate, affect, interpret, or implement management policies or operating practices;
✓ Employee carries out major assignments in conducting the operations of the business;
✓ Employee performs work that affects business operations to a substantial degree;
✓ Employee has authority to commit the employer in matters that have significant financial impact;
✓ Employee has authority to waive or deviate from established policies and procedures with executive management’s approval.
- Estimate value of goods according to knowledge of market price
- Analyze market and delivery systems in order to assess present and future material availability
- Determine methods of procurement, such as direct purchase or bid
- Review bid proposals and negotiate purchasing contracts and agreements with existing and potential vendors to obtain best cost, delivery and payment terms within budgetary limitations and scope of authority
- Responsible for New Vendor Registrations including W-9 form
- Interact/interface with international co-ops, importers/exporters and customs personnel
- Create and maintain all vendor records including procurement records, such as items or services purchased, costs, delivery, product quality or performance, and inventories
- Work with broadline vendors as well as suppliers to ensure product availability and surety of category items
- Maintain frequent interaction with suppliers, vendors and outside consultants
- Maintain level of rapport with vendors and clientele
- Discuss defective or unacceptable goods with vendors to determine source of trouble and take corrective actions
- Keep abreast of market trends, changes in business practices in the assigned markets, new or altered types of materials entering the market, etcetera
- Research and source alternate vendors by coordinating sample evaluations and product testing and approval with the System and Menu Development Team as well as Kura Japan
- Recommend and procure Kura Monthly Discovery (KMD) and other LTO menu items • Plan and place POs for auto-shipment items related to KMD and other LTO menu items
- Manage communication to stores concerning product changes and approved sub items • Prepare reports regarding market conditions and merchandise costs
- Support operations by handling purchasing and distribution related problems • Utilize and maintain BOH system to accomplish responsibilities
- Ad-hoc assignments requested by Purchasing Director
- Adheres to company standards and financial guidelines to accomplish purchasing and inventory targets to minimize costs, (i.e., food, beverage and supplies)
Food Safety and Cost Control
- Enforces sanitary practices for food handling, general cleanliness, and maintenance of suppliers and vendors.
- Ensure compliance with operational standards, company policies, federal/state/ local laws and ordinances.
- Responsible for ensuring consistent high quality of all products.
- Manages all associated costs.
- Ensures that proper food handling procedures are in place at suppliers or vendor facilities to protect employees, customers and company asset
- Keeps Purchasing Director promptly and fully informed of all issues and takes prompt corrective action where necessary or suggests alternative courses of action.
- Completes job responsibilities and performance objectives in a timely and effective manner and in accordance with Kura policies and procedures.
- Follows directives given by executive management.
- Maintains a favorable working relationship with all company employees to foster and promote a cooperative and harmonious working climate which will be conducive to maximum employee morale, productivity, and efficiency/effectiveness.
- Adheres to Company’s confidentiality and conflict of interest policies and agreements.
- Protects company and prevent from lawsuits and food poisoning by health control.
- Keeps all contracts and agreements up-to-date.
- Self-disciplined, has great initiative, leadership ability, and outgoing personality.
- Pleasant, polite manner, and a neat and clean appearance.
- Must be able to handle the pressures of simultaneously coordinating a wide range of activities and recommend appropriate solutions.
- Must possess good communication skills for dealing with diverse staff.
- Ability to coordinate multiple tasks.
- Maintains high ethical standards in the work place
- Complies and maintains confidentiality of all company policies and procedure.
- Education: Bachelor’s Degree required in business administration or related field.
- Minimum 4 years of experience in Food Purchasing/Buying industry.
- Proven experience working independently in a field that required regular contact with outside vendors, customers, and/or internal teams to provide a service and/or exchange information.
- Purchasing/Buying experience with negotiation experience are required.
- Restaurant experience is a huge plus.
- Foodservice or retail distribution environment with a centralized distribution center and multiple branches is a plus.
- Inventory management experience preferred.
- Strong Excel knowledge, data analyzation and customer service expert.
- Language Ability: Ability to effectively communicate with management in English. Ability to communicate and interact with suppliers, vendors and public regarding restaurant products.Ability to interact with all levels of management.
This position requires the employee to travel up to 75% of working time.