The BDM is responsible for direct management of assigned customers and rep groups located in their geographical territory. Ultimately this position is responsible for managing growth and profit at assigned customers through specific Objectives, Goals, Strategies and Measures of Success developed together with the Director of Sales. Driving organic and new business growth with existing and new customers is a key deliverable of the position. A high performing BDM will be an added value component to their customers business while delivering sales growth within their assigned operating budgets and company spending guidelines.
This role reports to the Director of Business Development and this position serves the Eastern Region of the US, (OH, PA, NY, NJ and New England) with a preferred location for this position in the Columbus OH area, although the Dayton and Cincinnati, OH areas are also viable locations.
- Working with the Director of Sales, develops annual business plans with clearly stated Objectives, Goals, Strategies and Measure for assigned territory and accounts.
- Establish annual performance goals for assigned business and customers, including sales targets per product category. Monitors progress vs. objectives ongoing while proactively reporting progress, issues and opportunities to the Director of Sales.
- Own, manage and deliver assigned volume and profit objectives.
- Owns the customer relationship by developing a value-added alliance through aggressive account penetration across all levels and key decision makers. Maintain regular face to face contact with assigned customers while utilizing email, text messaging and phone calls as needed to manage business.
- Provides leadership and direction working cross functionally with the assigned business team.
- Is a top resource for product and procedural knowledge for end-users, dealers, consultants, food manufacturers and territory reps.
- Educates and trains assigned customers and reps on the products key points of differentiation, features and benefits and usage of products or product categories as needed.
- Schedule sales calls based on customer Tier level and opportunities to develop the business and update our customers on new items, core business opportunities and refresh the customers information as needed.
- Works with assigned Rep Groups to develop and manage annual sales growth and profit plans for each assigned customer. This includes developing sales goals based on existing and future product opportunities.
- Attends a minimum of 80% of Rep Sales calls ongoing. Ensures all Reps understand this expectation
- Excels in time management to ensure assigned accounts and reps are effectively managed from a sales growth and customer service standpoint.
- While maintaining and developing dealer relationships is important, focusing on end-users (minimum 50% of time) i.e. chains and food manufacturers developing business opportunities is key.
- Leverage the assigned cross-functional business team to interact with other company departments, placing requests as early as possible to avoid unnecessary complexity.
- Coordinate with assigned Business Team to schedule, organize and conduct biannual rep training sessions.
- Provide market feedback to Director of Sales for purposes of forecasting, rep evaluation, promotions, programs, product ideas, etc.
- Attends approved trade shows, chain conferences and national trade show. Provide feedback to Director of Sales on value of show or conference vs. cost of attending/exhibiting.
- Adhere to normal policy when managing price negotiations, variances and returns. Confer with Director of Sales when special pricing or conditions may be needed.
- Transport samples, set up trade-show or product training session and demonstrate features, benefits and possible applications.
- After conferring with Director of Sales, hires and terminates rep groups as required.
- Interview prospective rep groups for open territories, ensuring their product mix, business methods, personnel, and existing relationships are best possible fit for our company and products.
- Minimum of 7 years sales experience, with at least 4 years spent in the food service industry
- Four-year business degree or equivalent education and experience
- Strong written, oral and presentation skills
- Strong sales, planning and organization, negotiation follow-up skills are critical
- Professional attitude, demeanor and image
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment
- Creative, self-motivated, critical thinker and sound decision maker
- A proven high level of sales ability
- Ability to confront and resolve difficult situations and conflict with key customers and internally while still maintain a strong working relationship
- Must be Customer Centric
- Proficient in use of MS Office especially Word, Excel & PowerPoint
- 20% to 30% travel within assigned multi-state territory
The compensation package for this position is commensurate with experience and includes an attractive base salary with annual bonus incentive and a competitive PTO and benefits package.