A job as a Bindery Operator falls under the broader career category of Print Binding and Finishing Workers.
The Bindery Operator Sets up and operates binding machines that round, back, case, line stitch, press, fold, trim, or perform other binding operations on manuals, books and related articles
The essential responsibilities of the position are listed below in the following key areas:
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
・ Operates or tends machines that perform binding operations, such as gathering, folding, cutting, stitching, rounding and backing, supering, pressing, and trimming on books and related articles ・Moves controls to adjust and activate bindery machine to meet specifications ・Selects, loads, and adjusts workpieces and machine parts, using hand tools and digital adjustments ・ Feeds books and related articles into binding machines; threads spirals in perforated holes of items to be bound; punches holes in paper sheets and fastens sheets, signatures, or other materials; creases or compresses signatures before affixing covers, and places paper jackets on finished books ・Packs carefully the products in boxes, wraps the pallets by using wrapping machine or manually, and label the boxes according to the instructions and customer’s specifications ・Cleans work area and maintains equipment and work stations, using hand tools ・Maintains records of daily production, using specified forms ・Observes and monitors machine operations to detect malfunctions and makes required adjustments ・Manually stocks supply such as signatures, manuals, books, or paper ・Removes books or products from the machine and stacks them properly ・Cleans and lubricates machinery parts and makes minor repairs ・Examines printed material and related products for defects and to ensure conformance to specifications ・Help and support front and back processes, and contribute to establishing the company’s workflow procedures more efficiently ・Cooperate with committees and adhere to related requirements ・Comply with all company policies and procedures ・Performs other duties as assigned by senior management as necessaryQUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
WORK ENVIRONMENT & PHYSICAL DEMANDS
- Ability to interpret and follow simple oral and written instructions.
- Knowledge of materials, methods, and the tools used to perform job duties.
- Ability to operate the specific tools used in the area of expertise, including related tools and equipment.
- Ability to operate a personal computer.
- Ability to work in safe and efficient manner.
- Ability to use forklift is a plus
- High school diploma or GED
This job operates in a production environment using small, medium and heavy equipment such as binding machine, saddle stitch machine, pump jack carts, trolleys, and possibly forklift machine. The employee is frequently exposed to fumes or airborne particles, moving mechanical parts and vibration. The noise level in the work environment and job sites can be loud.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
- Sitting, standing, walking, driving, climbing ladders, squatting/kneeling, reaching, grasping, pushing/pulling, twisting/bending, lifting/carrying up multiple times per shift, fingering, talking, hearing, and seeing. This position routinely requires lifting and/or moving up to 45 pounds
- Most time spent indoors with possible exposure to extreme hot or cold temperatures for one hour plus.