Magellan Aerospace, Llay Wrexham has an exciting opportunity for a Bid Manager
- Full Time Permanent Contract
- 39 hours per week.
- Job location: Llay, Wrexham, LL12 0PB.
- Unionised site – works in partnership with Unite the Union.
The Bid Manager is a key customer stakeholder interface role principally responsible for; bid campaign lifecycle management from opportunity identification through to delivery, input into prospect qualification, win strategies, commercial discussions, solution design and post-submission lessons learnt. The post holder will possess a thorough understanding on the implementation of internal governance procedures and gated processes in order to maintain the integrity, accuracy and control of the bid process. The role is also responsible for measuring and refining effectiveness of the bid management process. This position is pivotal to opportunity capture, business growth and understanding the competitiveness required in order to translate enquiry to revenue.
This is a challenging role for a talented and driven individual operating at a strategic level within the organisation; bid cycles and the resultant revenue streams are significant in longevity and the implications thereof, must be understood by the post-holder. The individual should be highly focused and able to operate comfortably at numerous levels within our significant customer portfolio, which includes Airbus, GKN Aerospace, Spirit AeroSystems, Boeing and BAE Systems.
Perks and Benefits
- A company culture that promotes work life balance
- Access to mental health support
- Business performance related bonus
- Career development opportunities
- Commitment to continued learning and development
- Perkbox - includes monthly treats and discounts from selected restaurants, cinemas, shops etc
- Long Service Awards
- Enhanced Holiday Entitlement based on length of service
- Free parking
- Securing all relevant information from the customer community in order to facilitate technically and commercially sound bid proposals.
- Secure timely bid contributions and inputs from a variety of business stakeholders, typically involving commercial, operations, engineering, quality, finance, legal and logistics.
- Estimation of key bid cost drivers including hours, material and non-recurring costs. Challenge other stakeholders to ensure that competitiveness is the foremost thought in constructing bid responses.
- Assessment of wider business impacts resulting from bids including capacity required to discharge scope and resultant capital expenditure to sustain volumes.
- Perform relevant risk identification, tracking and mitigation activities throughout the bid process.
- Management of customer engineering changes within a controlled bid assessment process that delivers margin protection / expansion and accounts for customer contractual thresholds for absorbing RC/NRC.
- Compiling relevant technical reports and presentations for a variety of stakeholders involved in the bid process.
- Support with spares pricing and offer submission to ensure accuracy and capture of margin expansion opportunity.
- Provide technical justification to ensure that submitted pricing is substantiated, understood and accepted by the customer.
- Participation in the contract review process to ensure that bid parameters are respected within the incoming customer order.
- Research into new manufacturing methods and technologies in order to sustain and grow Magellan bid competitiveness.
- Building new and maintaining existing relationships across a matrix of functions within the customer community.
- Deliver lessons learned from bid submissions, rolling positive and improvement opportunity into future bid submissions. This should include a thorough understanding of the reasons for win/loss, ideas for enhanced customer response times and adherence to internal bid budgets
- Assist the Director, Business Development & Commercial - Europe in delivering a variety of strategic initiatives.
- Promote and encourage team working across functional roles to ensure delivery of contractual requirements, minimise risk and win business.
- Contribute to developing continuous improvement and innovative ways of doing business to increase the efficiency and effectiveness of the customer experience and to minimise costs within the contract.
- Maintain a high standard of Health and Safety based upon safe working practices and support environmental initiatives.
- Support for business strategy and departmental goals and objectives.
- Provide cover and support for other divisions, departments and other related activities.
- Ensure that all work activities and records comply with Company Policies, Procedures and Codes of Practice.
- Minimum HNC/HND in an Engineering discipline.
- Desirable IMechEng or similar
- Minimum 5 years experience in aerospace manufacturing
- Experience of high speed machining of aluminium and titanium is highly desirable
- Time-served engineering apprentice preferable
- Experience of Project / Programme Management
- Ability to read and interpret engineering drawings
- Understanding of lean methodologies
- Knowledge of statistical and mathematical analysis
- Ability to construct technical reports and presentations
- Excellent verbal and written communication
- Extensive understanding of Microsoft packages
- Strong IT skills
- Ability to interact at senior levels within the business or customers community
- Ability to chair effective meetings
- Ability to compile and deliver presentations to customers and stakeholders
- Ability to gain credibility quickly
- Ability to solve problems and simplify complex situations
- Ability to manipulate, interpret and report on data
- ‘Completer / Finisher’ mentality and approach
- Approachable and engaging in style
- Flexible approach to tasks
- Must have a can do attitude
- Detail orientated
- Measured and calm when under pressure
- Credible – both with the internal and external customer
Magellan Aerospace is a global, integrated aerospace company that provides complex assemblies and systems solutions to aircraft and engine manufacturers, defence and space agencies worldwide. The organization officially adopted the name “Magellan Aerospace Corporation” in 1996; deriving it from the intrepid explorer Ferdinand Magellan. His global exploits at the turn of the 15th century established a number of firsts, so the company’s vision has been to carry this same legacy into the future of the aerospace industry.
At Magellan, we have over 80 years of collective knowledge and experience in the aerospace industry, and believe one truth: People create value. Employees are our greatest resource in working towards a successful future, and together we build professional relationships that thrive. We know that personal development is fundamental to the success of every individual, and every individual is fundamental to the success of our business, so we invest in our employees and provide excellent career progression opportunities. When you are part of Magellan, you are part of the team!