The Benefits Specialist provides analytical and technical assistance in the research, development, planning and execution of health and welfare benefit and wellness programs. The position is responsible for ensuring accurate enrollment and administration in the group benefit plans, administer changes to benefit plans and facilitate open enrollment activities. Additionally, the role verifies monthly new hire enrollments, conducts new hire orientation briefings and fields client and employee benefit, vendor invoicing reconciliation and wellness questions.
- Demonstrates understanding and support of excellent customer service in almost all interactions, even in tough times, with internal and external customers.
- Work cooperatively with HR team members on any benefit matters as well as educate them on basic aspects of benefits so they are equipped to assist employees on benefit needs.
- Assist in the design of and conduct new hire orientation benefit briefings.
- Maintain enrollment packets for benefits and contribute to the messaging of open enrollment communication materials.
- Validate benefit enrollment information and capture arrears resulting from late enrollments.
- Validate life events and capture arrears resulting from changes.
- Complete Qualified Medical Support Orders.
- Submit eligibility enrollments and update data to third party administrators (TPA).
- Resolve moderately complex benefit issues related to employee, management and TPA inquiries as necessary.
- Audit information received from union benefit vendors and direct Team Members to vendors when necessary.
- Update and distribute voluntary and required benefits communications.
- Maintain updated information in HCM software for benefit’s related areas.
- Verify third party Consolidated Omnibus Reconciliation Act (COBRA) database.
- Assist with monthly benefit carrier bill reconciliation and processing.
- Coordinate wellness events, flu shots, annual health fair and other wellness challenges.
- Contribute to the creation of monthly benefits communication messages.
- Update invoice payment tracking sheet to correspond with pay period deductions.
- Participate in annual compliance and audit activities as needed.
- Assist in the creation and running of monthly reporting as needed.
- Compliance: Maintain compliance with federal and state regulations concerning benefits.
- Supports the Manager of Total Rewards on strategic efforts to maintain best practices.
- Perform other related duties as required and assigned.
Qualifications and Education Requirements:
- 4 to 7 years’ experience working in Benefits/Human Resources in manufacturing
- Bachelor’s degree in Business, Human Resources, or related field and/or equivalent work experience
- Strong knowledge of regulatory and legislative issues impacting Benefits (COBRA, HIPAA, ACA, HSA, Medicare, Cafeteria Plan, USERRA, etc.). Should be able to provide guidelines to employees, managers, and directors. Only seeks guidance with the complex or detailed regulation interpretation.
- Able to present benefit-related information to groups with minimal supervision. Most communication is developed independently and needs limited revisions. Needs guidance in communicating where there are difficult or unfavorable situations.
- ability to pinpoint the issue, research, analyze, gather data, makes recommendation put them into action. Benefits Specialist can resolve moderate issues but needs help resolving complex issues. Able to create reports to gather data with minimal assistance except for complex reporting. Utilizes reports to identify trends and provide data internally and externally.
- Commitment to customer service and ability to work in team-oriented environment.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Possesses strong interpersonal skills and is a dynamic thinker who is open to change and the development of new processes that address current needs.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office products including Excel, Word, and Power Point.
- Travel as required – minimal.
- Views safety as an important personal value.