A Behavioral Health Consultant is a member of the healthcare team who works in collaboration with the primary care providers in managing the overall health of their patients. The Behavioral Health Consultant will provide skill training through patient education strategies and develop specific behavioral change plan to address maladaptive behaviors as well as other psychosocial factors.
- Provide quality clinical consultation addressing patient psychosocial concerns in collaboration with the integrated primary care team. Capable of assessment and interventions for patients of all ages regarding psychosocial concerns that may be related to life stressors, acute and/or chronic mental health conditions, motivational barriers to healthy lifestyle, and/or other identifiable behavioral health concerns, while making appropriate recommendations to medical providers and patients
- Capable of assessing the patient’s behavioral health related issues utilizing DSM-IV-R, PHQ-9, and other relevant diagnostics for the purposes of integrated primary care treatment planning and/or referrals to community based specialized mental health providers
- Provide brief, health, and behavior focused assessments and interventions with active development of behavioral change planning that can improve psychosocial functioning and impact patient’s bio-medical health outcomes
- Provide follow up appointments to deliver psychotherapeutic care related to the mind/body connection including relapse prevention education
- Function in the role of educator to patients as it pertains to identifying psychosocial needs and appropriate treatment techniques and self-management skills
- Attend monthly department staffing and weekly supervision meetings
- Promote smooth interface between medicine and behavioral health care throughout the organization through collaborative relationship building, efficiency with patient flow, accessibility to medical providers, brief consultations with providers and staff, and adherence to scope of practice limitations given the population based approach
- Establish and build collaborative relationships with the Medical Provider’s through familiarization with provider patient panels, provider-directed psychosocial screenings, integrated medical visits, walking the halls, and other methods helpful to promoting the integrated primary care model
- Provide on-site availability for crisis triage and intervention
- Provide concise documentation of the behavioral health aspect of patient interventions and tracks the patient referrals to specialty behavioral health care in a timely manner
- Provide education to the primary care team regarding the latest information and knowledge pertaining to integrated behavioral health assessment and intervention, related behavioral health conditions, safety and risk assessment, in order to assist with enhancing primary care utilization of the Behavioral Health Services
- Promote positive patient/guest relation in accordance with the center's policies.
- Adhere to Family Health Center’s policies, providing a high level of quality in personal attention and service to patients and visitors.
- Participate in in-service/education regarding Quality Improvement.
- Observe organizational policies concerning unscheduled absences and reports unscheduled absences in accordance with departmental procedures.
- Comply with the organization Safety Policies and Procedures. Ensure compliance with governmental licensing and regulatory requirements where applicable. Conduct annual review of and complete/suggest on-going revisions of the Policies and Procedures specific to his/her department. Maintain familiarity with and abide by all established facility and departmental policies and procedures, noting changes when they are published/posted. Conduct himself/herself in a manner consistent with the Mission Statement and Values of our center.
- Observe and respect the confidentiality of information in regard to patients, visitors and fellow employees including salary information, if exposed to any of the above referenced information in the course of his/her job function.
- Accountability- Role Model, mission, vision and shared values
- Customer Focus:
Has a clear understanding of internal customers needs, preferences, timelines and decision-making criteria
Recognizes that building long-term customer satisfaction is the key to employee engagement
- Teamwork – If someone needs help, help them
- Initiative – Be innovative, apply fresh ideas and continuously improve how you do your work
- Confidentiality – Maintains strict confidentiality and respect the privacy of others
- Ethical – Demonstrate consideration and appreciation for co-workers and customer
- Respect – Demonstrate – consideration and appreciation for co-workers and customer