Locus Biosciences is seeking a highly motivated and detail-oriented applicant to join our research and development team as a full-time Automation Operator. This individual will be responsible for executing protocols on high-throughput liquid handlers, maintenance of automated equipment, and carrying out planned research activities. The ideal candidate will be able to work efficiently to collect and track samples, organize inventory, and maintain meticulous records. This individual must be able to communicate effectively in informal settings and be able to work well within a team. This individual will work in small teams and report to a lead scientist. Candidates should have prior laboratory experience and be competent at basic laboratory upkeep activities.
Responsibilities will include:
- Lab maintenance: preparation and sterilization of microbiological media, inventory and ordering of laboratory supplies and reagents, close coordination within project teams to define material requirements, setup and coordination with external lab vendors
- Automation: daily maintenance of automation equipment, tracking and ordering of inventory, operation of liquid handling units
- Microbiological assays: MIC testing, bacterial growth and enumeration, bacterial isolation, bacteriophage amplification and purification, biofilm assays, and maintenance of bacterial stocks. Bacteriophage enumeration and clonal purification.
- Molecular biology assays: PCR, genomic DNA extraction, cloning, transformations, sequencing sample prep, and plasmid preps
Candidate must possess:
- Bachelor’s degree in life sciences or a related field
- Familiarity with general laboratory equipment such as autoclaves, centrifuges, pH meters, biological safety cabinets, balances, etc.
- Attention to detail and excellent record-keeping using standard Microsoft Office software
- Familiarity with chemical and biological risks of working in a laboratory environment
- Good communication skills
- At least two years’ research experience in either academic or industry environments
- Familiarity with Next-Generation Sequencing and/or liquid handling units
Job Type: Full-time
Job Location: Research Triangle Park, North Carolina