Locus Biosciences is seeking a highly motivated and entrepreneurial applicant to join our team as a full-time Automation Engineer. This position is well suited for those that have a strong desire to directly design and extend Locus’ automation capabilities and provides an excellent opportunity for growth into a leadership role as the company expands.
The primary responsibility for the position is the development and maintenance of our synthetic biological automation platform and systems equipment. An ideal candidate will have extensive coding and software engineering experience that complements a core skillset in automation technologies. A background in Mechanical or Software Engineering complemented by experience in general microbiology and molecular biology would be preferred.
This individual must be able to communicate effectively in formal and informal settings and be able to work well within a team.
Responsibilities will include:
- Implement automation efforts across the Company, including development, validation and maintenance of our core automation platforms
- Establish equipment specifications in standard documentation – User Requirements (URS), Functional Specification (FS), and software repository maintenance
- Identification of new equipment, processes or other optimized workflows to support expansion of platform capabilities
- Lead development, and optimization of internally developed high-throughput, automated methods that drive our microbiology, synthetic biology and molecular biology efforts
- Maintenance of automation equipment, including responsibility for all reactive and proactive maintenance work, on-site and on-demand response to equipment breakdowns
- Develop software and code to support our bioinformatics team
- Develop and maintain systems and data repositories that meet the needs of high-throughput acquisition and analysis of data generated from the automation platform
- Development of documented protocols for user implementation of designed automation methods
- Tracking of automation consumable inventory and reporting of Key Performance Indicators for automation methods
- Preferred Qualifications:
- Minimum B.S. degree in Engineering, Computer Science or related technical field
- Ideal candidate will have hands-on experience in coding and configuration of control and data acquisition systems, IT infrastructures, automated calibration and maintenance management systems
- Familiarization with programming languages R, Python, C/C++
- A minimum of 2 years’ experience in utilizing and troubleshooting laboratory automation instrumentation (advanced liquid handlers/dispensers and plate readers), including protocol development and optimization.
- Working knowledge of the Hamilton platform including INSTINCT V and Venus software packages a bonus
- Ability to structure, implement and maintain study plans in the face of evolving projects and programs
- Willingness to develop solutions to difficult objectives independently and consistently
- Must be highly motivated and capable of thriving while working both independently and as part of an interdisciplinary team with diverse backgrounds