- Actively participate in the development of the plant’s objectives and oversee all aspects of daily plant production and maintenance activities to optimize plant performance. Provide input into plant capital plan and operation plan and effectively manage budget costs. Assumes full responsibility for the plant in the Plant Manager’s absence.
- Plan, coordinate and direct all production activities to ensure that Plant Operations goals and targets are realized. Analyzes plant activities on a daily basis to assess and recommend areas for improvements in production, quality or efficiency.
- Synchronizes production activities with quarry, maintenance, process and quality control activities to make certain that the plant is performing to highest standards.
- Oversee plant maintenance. Ensure that the maintenance and operation of equipment is at optimal levels. Guides and directs maintenance managers to minimize equipment downtime. In coordination with Plant Management, plans, organizes and oversees the annual plant shut down. Ensures HTC Maintenance initiatives are implemented.
- Leads and fosters the collaborative efforts of the plant staff to address operating methods, procedures, and problems toward continuous improvement of production quality and efficiency. Identifies training needs of plant staff and ensures that appropriate training is implemented.
- Fully support the company’s purchasing initiative and ensure that purchasing policies and contract management policies and procedures are adhered to in the plant. Work in partnership with Plant Purchasing personnel regarding the purchase of major equipment such as kiln, clinker coolers, preheater refractory, etc.
- In collaboration with Sales and Marketing stay abreast of customer requirements and concerns. Determine and oversee the timely resolution to issues stemming from production, quality, etc. Participate in community activities to continually promote plant/community relations.
- Works with the plant Quality Control Department to meet product specifications and production goals.
- Ensure compliance with plant policies & procedures, safety, environmental, state and federal process regulations. Proactively support and play a leadership role in the plant’s safety program to continuously improve safety and health performance.
- Ensure implementation of company policies and procedures. Ensure compliance requirements are met through organizational and procedural measures including implementation of Group guidelines, performing trainings, monitoring compliance etc.
- Responsible for the flawless execution of the Plant on call schedule, participating as needed.
- A College Degree in Engineering or related field
- A minimum of 7-10 years cement plant experience, with a strong background in operations management and specific experience with preheater/calciner kiln operations
- A high level of technical knowledge related to all aspects of cement manufacturing. Significant knowledge of chemistry of raw mix, clinker and cement. Working knowledge and technical competency in the cement manufacturing process, with emphasis in the Finish and Raw Mill systems
- Familiar with Central Control operations, including the process control system in a preheater plant with a pre-calciner and alternate fuels experience an asset.
- Managerial and leadership competencies acquired in progressively more responsible positions in a unionized plant with the ability to perform in roles of both plant manager and direct reports on a relief basis
- Experience in dealing with Labor Relations matters and administering Collective Bargaining Agreements
- Ability to make timely, critical decisions, often under conditions of uncertainty and stress
- Detailed knowledge about process equipment interlocking; Knowledge in mill liner installation and ball charge design
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written
- Proficient with window based PC software programs including MS Office, SAP and other applicable software programs
- Ability to read and understand financial statements and cost reports, prepare budget and forecasts and to focus on and manage costs
- Knowledge of MSHA regulations and guidelines
- Proficient in use of mechanical systems, control systems and diagnostic skills
- Strong interpersonal, leadership and motivational skills
- Ability to communicate effectively and interact as a team member in a Total Quality environment
PLEASE APPLY OR CONTACT LARRY STAUFFER AT email@example.com