Position Title: Assistant Superintendent
Essential Functions of the Job:
- Provides competent and compassionate leadership to the shift supervisors, hourly employees and support staff
- Provides technical support to the shift supervisors and hourly employees
- Develops leadership and technical skills of shift supervisors and hourly employees
- Assists the Superintendent in managing operations in a safe, deliberate and organized manner
- Explains and consistently enforces policies and procedures
- Works with the safety manager to ensure production safety training is accomplished
- Complies/enforces Company health and safety standards
- Assumes Shift Supervisor responsibilities when required
- Performs Team Leader responsibilities in the Mill call rotation
- Complies with all daily, weekly and monthly requirements
- Works with employees to resolve issues or complaints; communicates Employee concerns with the Paper Machine Superintendent and HR Manager
- Other functions/duties as assigned.
- Technical Skills
- Time Management
- Action Oriented
- Four-year Engineering degree or equivalent experience
- Background in recycled containerboard preferred
- Ability to work a flexible schedule
- Ability to pass a pre-hire physical with lift test, drug screen and background check
- Comfortable working in a Union environment
- Arrive on-site with sufficient time to perform the following prior to shift change:
- Review previous shift Operator Rounds, Shift Supervisor log, etc. & enter necessary SR’s, make any process changes.
- Review/collect additional data of any issues with Shift Supervisor before their shift ends
- Make a round on the paper machine, identify any immediate needs to address by day shift.
- Facilitate the 9AM Production meeting in the Superintendent’s absence.
- Identify & drive continuous improvement opportunities.
- Assist in development of work systems related to safety, precision operations, housekeeping, & training.
- Communicate Night Notes to shift supervisors in Superintendent’s absence.
- Ensure KPI database is maintained and is accurate
- Attend and actively participate in the following weekly meetings:
- Lost Time Meeting
- Work Order Meeting
- Liabilities Meeting
- Outage planning
- Provide end of month report to Superintendent on all KPI’s
- Perform inventories and audits to assist Superintendent in end of month reporting
- Attend & actively participate in the following monthly meetings:
- Training Progress
- Outage Review