Job Title: ASSISTANT CONTROLLER
PURPOSE: Safeguard the assets of the company and manage the Accounting and Finance functions in a manner that maximizes the contribution of corporate goals and objectives.
Responsible for oversight of internal/external financial reporting, sales audit, treasury, lease accounting, fixed asset accounting, and revenue recognition
WORKING RELATIONSHIPS: Report to the Controller. Direct reports include the Manager of Financial Reporting and the Manager of Sales Audit/Treasury.
This is a high impact/highly visible role; Partnering closely with the Controller and company CFO, and routinely interfacing with cross-functional stakeholders, you’d have large scope responsibility for internal/external financial reporting, sales audit, treasury, lease accounting, fixed asset accounting, and revenue recognition. You’d not only develop your existing team but build it out by hiring for newly created positions that will help support company growth and an eventual IPO.
- General Administration and Management
- Directs resources for report completion as necessary to meet deadlines established by management.
- Ensures adequate staffing to support company initiatives.
- General Accounting
- Deep understanding of lease accounting, revenue recognition, fixed asset management, cash management, treasury/debt covenant reporting, and compliance.
- Financial Reporting
- Development of SEC level external reporting and insightful internal management reporting.
- Creation of debt required reporting.
- Provides/creates >analysis of monthly financial results with insightful business actions to support continue profitability.
- Reporting completed timely and accurately.
- Internal Control
- Establishment, monitoring, and refinement of internal controls.
- Working Capital Management
- Provides and develops tools to share early warnings or opportunities around financial performance.
Planning and Analysis:
- Profitability Analysis
- Financial Planning
- Supports the weekly forecast and annual budgeting process.
- Maintains ongoing projections of cash positions for all operations, including explanations to prior variances.
- Develops, creates, and maintains detailed budgets throughout the corporate structure.
- Investment/Abandonment Analysis
- Decision Support
- Cost/Benefit Knowledge
Operations and Finance:
- Operations Flow
- Cost Control and Process Improvement
- Identification and execution of process efficiencies and cost containment activities.
- Industry Awareness
- Experience in the retail industry or another complimentary industry. Sharing of best in class historical experiences.
DECISION QUALITY: Make correct decisions based on analysis, experience, and judgment.
DRIVE FOR RESULTS: Push themselves and others consistently to meet or exceed goals. Ability to shift to and manage multiple initiatives concurrently.
MANAGING AND MEASURING: Clearly assigns responsibility for tasks and decisions; sets clear, measurable objectives; monitors process, progress, and results.
COMMUNICATIONS: Is able to communicate quickly and professionally in a variety of communication settings and styles-with and to all levels of the organization; can express themselves clearly and concisely and is easily understood; does not over-communicate unnecessary information.
CUSTOMER FOCUS: Establish a relationship with customers to glean first-hand information that will enhance their experience and provide education/learning on financial results
DRIVING EXECUTION: Assigns clear authority and accountability, tackles problems directly and with speed. Holds team members to the highest standards of performance and accuracy
CHAMPION CHANGE (DEALING WITH AMBIGUITY): Cope with change, shift gears with comfort and can make decisions and act without having all the information.
BUSINESS ACUMEN: Understands how industry, businesses, strategies and the competition operate in the marketplace.
FISCAL MANAGEMENT: Understands the relationship of the budget and resources to the strategic plan; complies with administrative controls over funds; monitors and verifies ongoing cost-effectiveness.
DEVELOPING DIRECT REPORTS: Push, challenge and guide direct reports so they can meet their business and career goals.
INTEGRITY AND TRUST: Seen as direct and honest individuals who can keep confidences and admit mistakes. Will not represent themselves for personal gain.
MOTIVATING OTHERS: Create a positive climate that challenges and empowers others to do their best work.
PRODUCT FOCUS: The ability to maintain direction and stay on target with the goals and project at hand to enhance the customer experience with our products and services.
- Profitability of all entities EBITDA
- Timely and accurate financial reporting
- Staff retention, turnover, and development
- Achievement of deadlines and project deliverables
- Working knowledge of tax compliance and other non-income related taxes.
- Strong knowledge of technical accounting issues, both current and emerging.
- The individual should possess a minimum of 3 years’ experience in the retail industry with an accounting focus.
- Minimum of 5 years in management or leadership role.
- Has a strong ability to manage the finances and cash flow of a fast-paced, multiple entity environment.
- >CPA and public accounting experience strongly preferred.
- Demonstrated prior experience implementing strong internal controls and system/process enhancements.
- Demonstrated ability to implement software to meet operational goals, with specific knowledge in lease accounting software.
- Individual must also be experienced in building effective and motivated teams that can support daily corporate activity and key initiatives.