Area Director - Emergency Room & Observation Unit
Summary: Under the general direction of the assigned Administrative Leader, the Emergency Room & Observation Unit Area Director coordinates available resources to efficiently and effectively provide professional patient care and services to a quality consistent with nursing and SJHS-HC standards and at a cost compatible with the fiscal and other resources of SJHS-HC.
Assumes 24 hours responsibility for the management and direction of patient care and services in the assigned areas and delegate’s authority, as appropriate. Must have a professional commitment to growth, be creative and innovative, and demonstrate competency in interpersonal communication, leadership ability, and problem-solving skills.
• Ability to ensure patient confidence and comfort.
• Excellent written and oral communication skills. Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers, employees, physicians, or organizations.
• Reads and comprehends written instructions, able to interpret medical orders, correspondence, memorandums, and medical records.
• Applies deductive and common-sense reasoning ability to problem solve on a frequent basis.
• Capable of gathering data and making sound, mature decisions; ability to assess internal and external environment and make appropriate managerial changes based on those assessments.
Education: Graduate of an accredited nursing school or program. B.S.N. required, Masters preferred.
Experience: Three (3) years previous clinical experience as staff nurse in comparable acute care facility and three (3) years previous health care managerial experience.
Licensure: State of California Registered Nurse required. Current BLS required from an American Heart Association provider. CCRN Preferred.