The Accounting Supervisor oversees preparation of financial statements, supervises accounting staff (4 – 5 Accountants), and ensures financial records are maintained in compliance with accepted policies and procedures.
The Supervisor is also responsible for full cycle accounting, including preparation of monthly financial statements, for maintaining accounting policies and controls for assigned entities, and for providing financial support to those entities’ administrative professionals.
Responsibilities typically include financial support for greater than three entities of varying levels of complexity.
Essential Job Duties
- Plans work schedules, assigns duties, evaluates work for accuracy and conformance to policies, participate in hiring team members, and conduct performance appraisals.
- Train and develop new and existing accounting team members as well as affiliate administrative professionals.
- Monitor accounting processes and procedures and recommend and participate in improvements to such processes. Maintain training documents, schedules templates, and Finance Manual to keep them current.
- Ensure documents are filed in accordance with policy and oversee annual document Archive.
- Review monthly financial statements and monitor staff accountant progression and job growth.
- Coordinate interim and year-end close and assist in the preparation of year-end external financial statements.
- Coordinates and oversees various accounting, reporting and filing requirements (tax payments, year-end schedules for group and parent, intercompany transactions, indirect billing, external reporting, etc.).
- Compile and analyze financial information in order to prepare monthly financial statements, including budget variance explanations utilizing knowledge of accounting principles, including expense and revenue recognition, accounting for contributions, fixed asset determination, and understanding of lease accounting.
- Maintain and update supporting schedules to the financial statements, including supporting schedules for general ledger accounts.
- Review, code, and record all bank deposits and keep accurate daily cash ledgers and reconcile bank accounts on a monthly basis.
- Maintain and properly record and recognize all monthly revenue funding sources, including state contract and other affiliate grants.
- Review and accurately pay accounts payable invoices and staff expenses.
- Prepare and process journal entries.
- Ensure federal, state, unemployment, and other taxes are paid timely and accurately.
- Prepare monthly cash flow/forecast and assist entities in monitoring cash and overall financial performance.
- Oversee and monitor branch spending and ensure compliance with accounting principles and company policies and communicate any violation to management and supervisory personnel.
- Develop good understanding of revenue and external financial requirements.
- Assist Executive Team with budget preparation and revision.
- Provide support to internal and external auditors.
- Assist with special projects and other duties as needed.
This job description reflects management's assignment of essential functions, it does not prescribe or restrict the tasks that may be assigned. It is not designed to be a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities required.
MINIMUM EDUCATION, TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or related field
- 5 years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Strong understanding of accounting principles
- Proficiency with accounting software, network system, and Microsoft Windows work groups, and Microsoft Office (Excel, Outlook, Word, etc.). Certifications, Licenses and Registrations
- Must satisfy criminal background check and drug screening as defined by state requirements.
- Must possess and maintain a current valid driver’s license in the state of employment (CDL may be required with State specified endorsement).
- Ability to complete trainings outside the office (travel within the state) when required.
- Strong attention to detail and accuracy
- Strong problem analysis and resolution skills
- Ability to plan and organize work to ensure deadlines are met
- Ability to research issue and gather relevant information
- Strong communication skills
- Strong follow-up skills
- Ability to switch priorities and multi-task
- Exceptional integrity and ability to maintain confidentiality