- Oversight of Accounts Receivable, Collections and Accounts Payable staff.
- Compiles, reconciles, and analyzes financial information to prepare entries to accounts, such as general ledger accounts, documenting business transactions. Reconciles bank accounts and general ledger accounts. Performs month-end closing functions.
- Analyzes financial information detailing assets, liabilities, and capital, and assists with the preparation of balance sheet, profit and loss statement, and other reports to summarize and interpret current and projected company financial position for other managers.
- Assists with company’s annual budgeting and periodic forecasting processes and makes recommendations to Executive Officers regarding the accounting of reserves, assets, and expenditures.
- Oversees the semi-monthly and monthly inventory process, which involves inventory coordinating with Shipping Division and Accounting staff on inventory reconciliation, discrepancy investigation, the proper data entry, tracking and analysis of inventory. Assists with overseeing the returns process which can directly or indirectly affect inventory.
- Assists with maintenance of fixed asset records by coordinating with other divisions, trains accounting staff on proper fixed assets record-keeping and maintenance.
- Compiles information for quarterly sales tax returns as needed, and assists with corporate income tax and other regulatory filing.
- Assists with annual audits.
- Acts as back-up for processing daily cash receipts check imaging of deposits, manual check processing and recording.
- Modifies, documents, and coordinates implementation of accounting systems and accounting control procedures.
- Audits contracts, orders, and vouchers, and prepares reports to substantiate individual transactions prior to settlement.
- Analyzes return reason codes and presents to management. Highlights important information regarding the trends relating to returns and identifies opportunities for improving company procedures or areas of repeated errors.
ESSENTIAL MANAGING DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provides overall direction, coordination, and evaluation of staff members (includes Accounts Payable and Accounts Receivable groups).
- Functions as a positive leader and helps to create and maintain a positive work climate that promotes and fosters motivated, productive, and self-directed staff. Applies good management and people skills to provide the necessary discipline, direction, and controls for smooth and efficient division operations.
- Actively participates in performance management, performance review and evaluation, hiring and termination, issuing of disciplinary notices, training, and other management processes and carries out management responsibilities in accordance with company policies, regulations and local, state, and federal employment law.
- Attends and actively participates in regular meetings, events, and training for the management team.
- Generates various audit reports to ensure accuracy within the Accounting Division.
- Monitors order and production status and establishes priorities and sequences for the Accounting Division. Prepares department schedules and coordinates activities to ensure production and quality according to workloads and priorities.
- Assists with the preparation of annual department budget and periodic forecasting proposals and makes recommendations to department managers regarding division’s activities, operations, and expenses. Also assists with the preparation of weekly, monthly, and quarterly reporting on the performance of the division for submission to Executive Officers.
- Serves as division’s advocate and liaises with other departments on behalf of the division – interfacing with other managers, supervisors, and staff members from other departments, as necessary.
- Keeps abreast of the latest developments in accounting technologies and software to streamline accounting processes.
- Completes special projects as assigned.
- Other projects and responsibilities may be added at the company’s discretion.
- Must have in-depth GAAP (Generally Accepted Accounting Principles) knowledge and is able to proficiently apply GAAP in all accounting areas of work.
- Must possess strong analytical, problem-solving, and organizational skills, and ability to demonstrate these skills always, especially in creating, monitoring, and analyzing reports – requires extreme attention to detail
- Must have excellent computer skills and be highly proficient in Microsoft Excel, as well as Microsoft Word and Outlook.
- Must be proficient in working with accounting systems/software, and must also be a quick learner, able to adapt to changing processes and technologies.
- Must have strong interpersonal, verbal, and written skills with ability to work as part of a team and independently.
- Possesses strong ability to manage time, and ability to manage schedules, workloads, and priorities of oneself and other staff members reporting directly to him/her
- Must be able to read, understand, write, and compile financial reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals.
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, and customers.
- Must be able to work under little or general supervision – has strong initiative and conducts quality checks of all work produced.
- Must possess strong ability to manage a diverse team of staff members with varying degrees of knowledge, skill, and experience.
- Possesses managerial discretion and judgment and relies on experience and knowledge to accomplish goals.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
Must have Bachelor's Degree in Accounting or related degree and in-depth GAAP knowledge. At least five years of previous relevant and combined experience in the accounting field and