Magellan Aerospace Blackpool has an exciting opportunity for a 2nd Year Machining Apprentice.
- Full Time Permanent Contract
- 38 hours per week.
- Job location: Blackpool Business Park, Amy Johnson Way, Blackpool, FY4 2RP
- Unionised site – works in partnership with Unite the Union.
Magellan Aerospace is a global, integrated aerospace company that provides complex assemblies and systems solutions to aircraft and engine manufacturers, and defence and space agencies worldwide.
Through work experience, studying, coaching, training and development (both practical and vocational) the machining apprentice will develop skills in engineering and machining by completing a course of study and obtain work related professional qualifications over 3 years, ensuring the ability to carry out duties competently and effectively within a pre-determined timeframe. A structured onsite training plan, will provide the apprentices with exposure to other areas of the business by rotating through non-machining departments such as Engineering, Quality & the various Business Support functions.
The apprenticeship is competency led working to achieve a Level 3 Diploma in Advanced Manufacturing Engineering on a Machining Pathway.
Perks and Benefits
- A company culture that promotes work life balance
- Access to mental health support
- Business performance related bonus
- Career development opportunities
- Commitment to continued learning and development
- Perkbox - includes monthly treats and discounts from selected restaurants, cinemas, shops etc
- Long Service Awards
- Enhanced Holiday Entitlement based on length of service
- Free parking
- To undertake a range of tasks suited to the current level of training and development attending college where required and ensuring course work is completed on time, to a high standard with accurate content. Fully participate in regular development reviews with management and mentors.
- Develop engineering and machining skills in a structured manner including how to set and operate CNC machines including multiple machine operation.
- Learn how to undertake daily checks and basic maintenance on the machines / equipment ensuring they remain in good working order.
- Provide detailed and comprehensive shift handover information ensuring continuous running of machines.
- Develop the ability to work with minimum supervision maintaining a good level of productivity whilst also supporting and promoting positive teamwork and knowledge sharing.
- To be able to inspect work to drawings and technical data supplied including using inspection equipment to dimensionally inspect work where appropriate.
- To be able to deburr components, including the removal of sharp edges and cleaning of holes.
- To be able to maintain job pack completeness including recording all quantity and quality requirements and booking on and off jobs using the site electronic booking system.
- To comply with all Health & Safety policies and procedures including Risk Assessments for your working areas and to work in a safe and diligent manner at all times.
- To undertake additional duties in line with capabilities as required.
- Maintain good housekeeping in the work area and actively support the continuous improvement programme.
- GCSE grades 4 and above to include Maths, English and Science or equivalent key skills
- Level 2 qualification in Manufacturing and Engineering
- No relevant experience required
- Provides creative but practical solutions to problems
- Participates and makes constructive suggestions for solutions and improvements
- Treats others with dignity and respect
- Communicates well (verbally and in writing) with colleagues and clients
- Works harmoniously with others, helping to generate a positive team atmosphere
- Builds effective working relationships
- Takes ownership of personal development
- A general interest in Aerospace industry or Manufacturing desirable
- Demonstrates a logical and practical approach to tasks
- Takes opportunities to learn new technical skills
- Puts off the job learning into practice at work Gains experience and qualifications to improve technical competence
- Takes on additional responsibilities once suitably qualified and/or trained
- Ability to problem solve
Magellan Aerospace is a global, integrated aerospace company that provides complex assemblies and systems solutions to aircraft and engine manufacturers, defence and space agencies worldwide. The organization officially adopted the name “Magellan Aerospace Corporation” in 1996; deriving it from the intrepid explorer Ferdinand Magellan. His global exploits at the turn of the 15th century established a number of firsts, so the company’s vision has been to carry this same legacy into the future of the aerospace industry.
At Magellan, we have over 80 years of collective knowledge and experience in the aerospace industry, and believe one truth: People create value. Employees are our greatest resource in working towards a successful future, and together we build professional relationships that thrive. We know that personal development is fundamental to the success of every individual, and every individual is fundamental to the success of our business, so we invest in our employees and provide excellent career progression opportunities. When you are part of Magellan, you are part of the team!