Virginia - Remote Option
Virginia - Remote Option
- Work in a public accounting firm that embraces a family-friendly, community-based, low stress work environment.
- Fast-track to Partner; Senior partners are nearing retirement.
- 300 staff; no worries about big-firm mentality.
- #4th largest Virginia-based CPA firm.
- Offices throughout Virginia & Maryland
- Flexible work environment: remote option
Job Duties and Responsibilities: See below
- Family Wealth
- High Net Worth
- Real Estate & Construction
Technical Expertise and Work Quality
- Develop and possess a thorough understanding of tax accounting fundamentals; sufficient knowledge of the Internal Revenue Code and Regulations and other technical guidance, including industry and practice-specialty standards.
- Develop and demonstrate strong research, analytical, and communication (written and verbal) skills in order to ensure that clients remain in compliance with tax regulations, to identify potential issues or opportunities, and provide solutions for complex client issues and problems.
- Share in the responsibility for keeping all employees informed on changes in standards, tax laws, regulations, and other current tax matters.
- Develop and maintain specific areas of expertise and focus on these areas.
- Continually develop strong workpaper and tax return review skills.
- Identify problems and be responsible for proposing solutions by applying strong analytical techniques and performing or directing appropriate research of potential solutions.
- Possess excellent communication skills to express opinions and concepts, teach, coach, and direct team members, work with clients, and document positions taken or matters resolved. Communication skills are evidenced by instructions that are able to be understood when received and by the effective presentation of documentation (including letters, memos, and reports), which requires little or no revision by Senior Managers/Principals.
- Clear any review comments for the work performed.
Client Management and Service
- Obtain necessary level of knowledge to be able to handle issues that may be outside of existing knowledge base or be able to identify appropriate resources to assist clients in dealing with matters that may be outside of the manager’s current level of expertise.
- Demonstrate good judgement by identifying potential issues and, as appropriate, elevate such matters to superiors early in engagement process, along with recommended potential solutions for dealing with such issues. Ensure resolution of issues encountered during engagement.
- Simultaneously manage multiple client engagements, employee, and other firm responsibilities while meeting client expectations and deadlines and within established budgets.
- Demonstrate a thorough working knowledge of clients’ business needs by identifying issues or problems and resolving most engagement issues by applying business knowledge and experience gained to add value to the service provided.
- Develop and maintain strong, positive client relationships through timely and responsive communication during the engagement as well as periodic communication throughout the year.
- Be aware of potential additional service areas to clients or opportunities to expand services.
- Make efficient and effective use of self-experience and experience of team members to manage engagements as efficiently as possible while delivering high quality, value-added client service.
- Be aware of changes in or new regulations and identify clients that may be affected by such changes. Be able to address such issues with clients or identify appropriate in-house experts to assist in discussing such issues with clients.
- Strive to complete engagements timely, within budget, and with acceptable realization.
- Coordinate engagement staffing.
- Develop finely tuned listening skills.
- A commitment to respond to clients within 24 hours.
- Participate in billing process or assume billing responsibility appropriate for client assignments.
- Participate in the Peer Review, PCAOB, and other quality control processes, as applicable.
- Maintain daily time entry for accurate reporting firm-wide
- Display an awareness of the importance of new business generation by expanding peer/professional networks and becoming involved in the leadership of civic, professional, or industry groups.
- Begin to generate leads and turn them into new business opportunities.
- Participate in marketing activities and help coordinate marketing efforts.
- Understand mission, vision, and strategic goals.
- Assist in proposals and presentations for current and potential clients.
- Represent the firm publicly by accepting speaking opportunities, authoring articles for industry literature, YHB newsletters, etc.
Leading and Developing Others
- It is required to have a genuine interest in investing in the growth of others as professionals as well as refining and polishing your skills used in managing people; includes circle employees and any professionals you collaborate with on a team engagement.
- Willingly accept newer staff on engagements and provide them with the necessary on-the-job training.
- Effectively delegate, provide timely and relevant performance feedback, and provide assistance and encouragement, as needed.
- Advise and mentor team members; evaluate team member performance on individual engagements and annually to guarantee quality client service.
- Manage circle employee growth by preparing personal development plans, while meeting the minimum firm and professional education requirements.
- Participate in the design, development, and implementation of internal continuing education sessions.
- Be cooperative and helpful to all team members and always promote teamwork within the firm.
- Motivate team members and coordinate efforts with other team members and peers.
Required Education and Experience:
- Bachelor degree in Accounting or relevant field required.
- CPA certification – in our diverse area of practice, the recognizes the value of non-CPA professionals who hold other professional designations. In order to give these professionals, the same opportunities for advancement as the CPA professionals, the Board reserves the right to promote to Manager non-CPA professionals who they feel meet the criteria of the Manager position.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
Compensation: Commensurate with Experience.
Executive Level Benefits