Field Service Technician
Position: Field Service Technician
Locations: Illinois, Indiana, or Michigan
The Field Service Technician works as a team member of the Service Department. Our Field Service Technicians go directly to our customers for installation, repair and warranty work, and other special projects. As a self-starter, technicians must be able to communicate clearly and precisely in written and verbal communication. Must be able to fill out daily service reports appropriately to include make, model, serial number, all parts used in repair, and a complete description of diagnosis and repair work done, an essential part of a specific area of failure for each job or segment, and any comments regarding future maintenance that may be necessary. Requires extensive travel and must be able to complete and submit expense reports weekly. On startup of new equipment, the technician must be able to set up and test for proper operation of the appropriate systems using essential test equipment and procedures and then train customer maintenance staff. The technician must be able to perform most component removal, disassembly, and reconditioning following correct drawings and technical manual designs. The technician must be able to properly and safely operate all machines marketed and serviced by The company. The Field Service Technician reports to the Service Manager.
Position Duties and Responsibilities
1) Required to travel and work throughout North America regularly.
2) Required to travel out of the country when deemed necessary.
3) Develop skills in disassembly, assembly, and repair of blast wheels, components, and machines.
4) Perform diagnostics and repairs in the field as required.
5) Report any proposed equipment changes to Product Service Support and Engineering.
6) Demonstrate skills to other technicians and customer maintenance personnel as required.
7) Develop diagnostic skills on all machine systems.
8) Perform all service tasks as assigned by the Product Services department.
9) Report any additional work required on machines to the Product Services and Customer for proper and safe operation.
10) Participate in in-service training programs required to develop skills and knowledge.
11) Prepare all required reports to include make, model, serial number, a complete description of the diagnosis, repair work done, and comments regarding future repairs that may be necessary.
12) Technicians will also be responsible for reports and forms required with work assignments (expense reports).
13) Maintain a clean work area at the customer site and perform and complete work neat and orderly.
14) Maintain and care for contractors' or customers’ tools and equipment.
15) Follow all safety rules and regulations in performing work on all job sites; each site may differ.
16) Conduct yourself in the presence of customers to present a professional company image.
This job has no supervisory responsibilities.
1) 5 years of experience or equivalent.
2) Must have basic computer skills.
3) Ability to read blueprints and drawings.
4) Valid driver’s license.
5) Able to acquire a passport.
6) Have a basic understanding of OSHA regulations and workplace safety.
7) Able to travel with overnight stays.
8) Communication skills necessary to work with management, customers, and co-workers.
9) Possess the technical knowledge to diagnose and repair customer and company-specific equipment.
10) Possess the ability and skills to conduct training courses with customers.
Education and Experience
-5 years’ experience with problem-solving engineering solutions,
Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of an organization.
Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
To perform this job successfully, competent knowledge of Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Word, Customer Relation Management (CRM)software, outlook, and PLC’s necessary.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
No certifications are required; however, AWS – certified welding is a plus.
An employee must meet the physical demands described here to perform the essential functions of this job successfully. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear. The employee is frequently required to sit, use hands to handle, or feel and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, twist, crouch, or crawl and smell. The employee must occasionally lift and move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
_Driving: Daily – short and long distances.
_Travel: Weekly and often on short notice
_Dexterity Ability to grasp and manipulate tools and parts.
The work environment characteristics described here represent those an employee encounters while performing this job's essential functions. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is frequently exposed to moving mechanical parts. The employee is occasionally exposed to wet and humid conditions; high, precarious places; fumes or airborne particles; compounds that may be covered under Hazard Communication Guidelines; outside weather conditions; extreme cold; extreme heat; risk of electrical shock and vibration. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate to high.
Click here to apply online