“To advance and provide comprehensive and innovative patient-centered health services to under-served and hard to reach regions.”
The North West Company (NWC) is hiring an Optician for our new Optical business in one of our future Optical centers (location to be determined). In your role as the Optician, you will be accountable for providing exceptional customer service in a friendly, knowledgeable and professional manner.
Ready to embrace your direction? Joining NWC gives you the opportunity for growth and development throughout the company, a competitive salary and benefits package, and to be part of a dynamic and diverse culture. You must be able to re-locate to Northern Canada. You will receive a competitive salary, benefits such as subsidized housing and food allowance, paid vacation travel, bonus and profit sharing opportunities, ability to bank what you earn, and more! We even have, and encourage, employment opportunities for spouses.
NWC is a leading retailer to under-served rural communities and urban neighbourhood markets in the following regions: Northern Canada, Western Canada, rural Alaska, the South Pacific islands, and the Caribbean. Our stores offer a broad range of products and services with an emphasis on food. Our value offer is to be the best local shopping choice for everyday household and local lifestyle needs. Check out northwest.ca for more information. Go North.
- Maximize Vision Centre sales and profit with direction from Head Office;
- Adjudicate and reconcile Third Party payments;
- Manage and transmit orders to the lab;
- Perform minor repairs;
- Perform data entry, price checks and patient information entry and updates;
- Pull reports and submit to head office for financial reconciliation
- Interpret and process written prescriptions;
- Assist Patients in selecting frames according to style and color, and ensure that frames are coordinated with facial and eye measurements and optical prescriptions;
- Measure Patients’ bridge and eye size, temple length, vertex distance, pupillary distance, and optical centers of eyes, using measuring devices;
- Recommend specific lenses, lens coatings, and frames to suit client needs;
- Instruct Patients to wear and care for eyeglasses and contact lenses properly;
- Provide assistance in training the Vision Centre Associates to ensure they are knowledgeable about lenses, frames and contact lens products;
- Responsible for the regular care of the Vision Centre to ensure a proper appearance and hospital clean environment for Staff, Patients, and Doctors; and
- Stay current with legal requirements and professional standards including licensure.
Desired Skills & Experience:
- Dual license certification as an Optician (Contact Lenses license required)
- 5+ years previous optician experience in an optical center (prior First Nations experience an asset)
- Thorough knowledge of NIHB Optical guidelines including claims processing for Prior Approvals
- Superior selling skills with the ability to build strong relationships
- Ability to work under minimal supervision
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills for the purpose of interpreting prescriptions, completing required documentation, and providing customer service
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail with the ability to multi task
- Knowledge of Optosys EMR software is an asset
- Familiarity with Essilor
Location: Northern Canada
Reports To: Operations Manager, Health Products & Services
A competitive salary is being offered along with opportunities to learn, develop and advance throughout the organization. We thank all applicants for their interest; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.