ABOUT CAFS: Children’s Aid and Family Services (CAFS) is one of Northern New Jersey’s leading not-for-profit providers of human services and child welfare programs. CAFS helps children whose families are not able to care for them, and supports children, young adults, the elderly, and their families through the everyday challenges and transitions of life.
Founded in 1899 with a focus on child protection and adoption, CAFS has placed more than 11,000 children with loving families. While helping children and families is still a core part of the agency’s mission, CAFS’s programs and services have evolved and expanded to meet ever-changing social needs.
Whether working with a child seeking an adoptive family, supplying formula and diapers to families that are struggling financially, helping a teenager to resist the pressure to take drugs, providing a mentor for a child in foster care, teaching life skills to those with intellectual and developmental disabilities, or providing support and services to teen mothers, CAFS is helping to build futures and families in the communities it serves. For more information please visit cafsnj.org.
THE OPPORTUNITY: The President & CEO reports to and works closely with the CAFS 23-member Board of Trustees and oversees a staff of approximately 300. S/he will provide executive leadership to the Trustees and staff consistent with the mission and objectives of the agency. The President & CEO will develop and recommend policy and strategic direction to the Board and ensure the implementation of those policies. S/he will also provide oversight for the management and administration of CAFS and is the chief representative of the agency to the various constituencies it serves.
The President & CEO will serve as chief fundraiser for the agency, with particular emphasis on individual major gifts. A major objective going forward is to increase contributed revenue in order to maintain standards of excellence, expand programs, and ensure the agency’s continued financial stability and growth.
FUNDING: CAFS has grown substantially over the past several years; the organization has a current annual operating budget of approximately $17.4 million and is on track to grow to nearly $22 million. Government funding is the primary source of revenue.
IDEAL CANDIDATE QUALIFICATIONS:
- Extensive track record of effective senior leadership in a not-for-profit human services organization or equivalent government experience.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively and effectively with a volunteer board of trustees.
- A strategic thinker capable of forecasting short- and long-term objectives.
- A connector and networker.
- A front-line fundraiser; successful experience securing private philanthropic support.
- Strong business and financial management skills.
- Current with trends facing human service providers in New Jersey, in the region, and nationally.
- Commitment to best practices, continuous quality improvement, and outcomes measurement.
- Politically savvy.
- Experience with marketing/branding/positioning.
- Polished communication skills.
- Well-honed relationship-building skills.
- Strong negotiating ability; a problem solver.
- Warm, approachable demeanor.
- Commitment to treating staff, clients, and families with compassion ,dignity and respect.
- A team builder and motivator.
- A track record of recruiting and fostering a diverse team with a focus on equity and inclusion.
- Ability and willingness to attend community events (including some evenings and weekends) and to serve as a visible member of and spokesperson for the community served by CAFS.
- An advanced degree in social work, business, not-for-profit management or related field, or equivalent leadership experience in a relevant not-for-profit setting.