Summary: Responsible for direct supervision of all accounting functions. Primary responsibilities include oversight of the company’s cost accounting/manufacturing control processes, the monthly close process and production of financial reports that comply with generally accepted accounting principles and optimization of internal controls. The Corporate Controller also manages the Accounts Receivable, Accounts Payable and Payroll functions, including customer billings, collection of accounts receivable, accounts payable, payroll and treasury administration. The Corporate Controller will also be part of a team that creates and implements policies and procedures to identify, resolve and document accounting issues in addition to creating procedures to make the close and reporting processes more efficient and accurate.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Guides financial decisions by establishing, monitoring and enforcing policies and procedures.
- Protects assets by establishing, monitoring, and enforcing internal controls.
- Monitors and confirms financial condition by conducting audits; providing information to external auditors.
- Implements processes to enable maximizing return and limiting risk in capital investment decisions.
- Coordination and efficient completion of activities associated with the annual audit
- Complies with federal, state, and local legal requirements by studying existing and new legislation; anticipating future legislation; enforcing adherence to requirements; filing financial reports; advising management on needed actions.
- Completes operational requirements by scheduling and assigning employees; following up on work results.
- Provides leadership to the team through coaching, mentoring and providing real-time feedback to the accounting team.
- Maintains professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops; reviewing professional publications; establishing personal networks; participating in professional societies.
- Protects operations by keeping financial information and plans confidential.
- Contributes to team effort by accomplishing related results as needed.
Directly supervises a team of associates in the Accounting and Financial support areas. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
Analytical - synthesizes complex or diverse information; collects and researches data; uses intuition and experience to complement data; designs work flows and procedures.
Written communication - writes clearly and informatively; presents numerical data effectively; able to read and interpret written information.
Leadership - exhibits confidence in self and others; inspires and motivates others to perform well; effectively influences actions and opinions of others; accepts feedback from others; gives appropriate recognition to others.
Managing people - includes staff in planning, decision-making, facilitating and process improvement; takes responsibility for subordinates' activities; makes self available to staff; provides regular performance feedback; develops subordinates' skills and encourages growth; fosters quality focus in others; improves processes, products and services.; continually works to improve supervisory skills.
Business acumen - understands business implications of decisions; displays orientation to profitability; demonstrates knowledge of market and competition; aligns work with strategic goals.
Strategic thinking - develops strategies to achieve organizational goals; understands organization's strengths & weaknesses; identifies external threats and opportunities; adapts strategy to changing conditions.
Qualifications To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience
- Bachelor's degree (B. A.) from four-year college or university and 2-3 years of public (preferably Big Four) and 2 or more years of corporate accounting experience.
- CPA Certification
- More than 7 years of hands-on accounting managerial experience.
To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of accounting software; payroll systems and project management software. Proficient with Windows operating system, including Excel, Outlook, Explorer, Word, and Power Point.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
Other Skills and Abilities
- Extensive knowledge of GAAP, specifically as it relates to manufacturing and M&A;
- Ability to handle multiple tasks and priorities in a fast-paced results driven environment.
- Working knowledge of short and long term budgeting and forecasting, rolling budgets, and product-line profitability analysis;
- Experience with managing the corporate audit process;
- Extensive working knowledge of ERP systems;
- Knowledge of internal control policies and procedures.
- Ability to work extended hours as business requires, including evenings and weekends.