You will analyze potential opportunities for growth, through expansion of established operations in Alaska, including acquisitions, using market research via on-site visits and gathering of information using tools such as PC Census. Once prospects are determined to be viable it would be presented to the Senior Manager of Corporate Development. You will also assess renewal projects for profitability and assist with negotiating terms to continue operations. Additionally, you will assist the VP of Corporate Development and Chief Development Officer by providing necessary information and other duties required as they analyze new initiatives. You will support the Real Estate department by assisting with complex renewals or high profile projects. You will be working with the Lease Administrator to ensure assigned lease renewals and expirations are closely monitored. Finally, you will assist with Community Relations initiatives with a diverse group of people across Alaska.
Joining NWCI gives you the opportunity for growth and development throughout the company internally, a competitive salary and benefits package, and to be part of a dynamic and diverse culture.
NWCI is a leading community retailer to rural communities and urban neighborhood markets in rural Alaska, rural Canada, the South Pacific, and the Caribbean. Our stores offer a broad range of retail products and services with an emphasis on food. North West owns a rich enterprising legacy as one of the longest continuing retail enterprises in the world, with many of our stores in Alaska having continuously served their communities for over 150 years. Today these northern stores operate in communities with populations from 500 to 7000. A typical store is 7500 square feet in size and offers food, family apparel, housewares, appliances, outdoor products, and services such as quick-service prepared food, special ordering, money transfers, and check cashing. Check out northwest.ca for more information.
- Negotiate new and existing leases for new growth opportunities with landlords in accordance with the established policies and procedures;
- Ensure that all market research is done to effectively assist with negotiating the best deal possible for ACC;
- Review financials and ensure that the business deal is economically profitable in accordance with ACC financial targets;
- Perform market research to determine growth opportunities for established business units in accordance with department initiatives and planning;
- Develop strong relationships within the store development/real estate industry to ensure all potential opportunities for our stores are being presented;
- Acquire new stores to add to our existing store base;
- Perform preliminary due diligence to ensure that we are in good stead to deliver as per the projection;
- Create strong relationships with local leadership groups & Government officials from different bands and other potential business partners;
- Assist Senior Manager, Corporate Development with daily filing and paperwork;
- Assist VP & Chief Development Officer with organizational tasks, paperwork and drafting documents;
- Ensure assigned real estate files are kept up to date; and
- Look for processes that could streamline current systems in the department.
Desired Skills & Experience:
- Must have minimum 5 years “Transactional” experience, preferably in Real Estate sector;
- Financial background, prefer a CFA or CBV;
- Work effectively and with full commitment on agreed upon tasks;
- Know your customers and be focused on their needs;
- Have conviction and passion for doing great work;
- Give your manager best advice;
- Identify opportunities for innovation and continuous improvement;
- Stay within policy;
- Work with and support peers according to the vision set by your manager.
Location: Anchorage, AK
Reports to: Vice President, Corporate Development
You may include your resume and cover letter together as a single document. A competitive salary is being offered along with opportunities to learn, develop and advance throughout the organization. We thank all applicants for their interest; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.