In your role as Category Manager - Food, at The North West Company (NWC), you will source, price, and market product to profitably grow the food department to the gross profit line.
Joining NWC gives you the opportunity for growth and development throughout the company, a competitive salary and benefits package, and to be part of a dynamic and diverse culture.
NWC is a leading retailer to under-served rural communities and urban neighbourhood markets in the following regions: Northern Canada, Western Canada, rural Alaska, the South Pacific islands, and the Caribbean. Our stores offer a broad range of products and services with an emphasis on food. Our value offer is to be the best local shopping choice for everyday household and local lifestyle needs. Check out northwest.ca for more information.
- Continually evaluate all available vendors and select appropriate vendors based on the following criteria: cost, terms, service level, time in transit (cost of interest and necessary inventory level), and quality;
- Establish the appropriate retail prices to attain the budgeted gross profit;
- Develop strategic marketing plans including advertising, in-store specials, promotional, and special buys;
- Perform category assessments on all categories and implement changes necessary as outlined in the plan. Category plans must be done once a year with a chosen vendor partner, assigning roles, strategies, and goals which meet format strategies. All major financial performance goals include profitable sales, costing, pricing, and assortment;
- Assist in setting the initial sales, gross margin, and inventory forecasts used in developing the final operating budget. Put plans in place to meet monthly budgets as outlined through retail management, vendor rebates, and markdown management;
- Learn all aspects of system reporting tools required to perform job duties;
- Supervise the department’s Associate Category Manager and Assistant Category Manager; and,
- Ensure all necessary tasks are done each month to ensure margin budgets are met for each period.
Desired Skills & Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent from a 2 year college or technical school, or 1 year of related experience and training, or equivalent combination of education and experience;
- Minimum 5 years’ retail management experience and/or previous purchasing experience;
- Proficient in MS Office Suite, including Excel;
- Strong analytical skills and financial analysis capabilities;
- Ability to set priorities and manage priorities of the team;
- Strong problem solving skills and the ability to teach and monitor performance;
- Excellent interpersonal and management skills with strong attention to detail; and,
- Ability to effectively manage multiple priorities.
Location: Gibraltar House, 77 Main Street, Winnipeg, Manitoba (Relocation Provided)
Reports to: Executive VP, Canadian Food Procurement & Marketing
You may include your resume and cover letter together as a single document. A competitive salary is being offered along with opportunities to learn, develop and advance throughout the organization. We thank all applicants for their interest; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.