As a member of the Construction Crew (Site Supervisor), you will assist in the execution of The North West Company’s (NWC) construction projects, as administered by the NWC Chief Development Office. In your role, you are on-site as part of the NWC construction crew, working alongside trades and sub-contractors, to complete the projects in an efficient and economical manner. If you are hard-working, reliable, and committed to quality and productivity – this role is for you!
Joining NWC gives you the opportunity for growth and development throughout the company, a competitive salary and benefits package, and to be part of a dynamic and diverse culture.
NWC is a leading retailer to under-served rural communities and urban neighborhood markets in the following regions: Northern Canada, Western Canada, rural Alaska, the South Pacific islands, and the Caribbean. Our stores offer a broad range of products and services with an emphasis on food. Our value offer is to be the best local shopping choice for everyday household and local lifestyle needs. Check out northwest.ca for more information.
- Assist in delivering the project as per plan in accordance with NWC standards and specifications;
- Participate in Tool Box Talks daily and communicate any safety concerns;
- Contribute to on-site daily operations and activities, ensuring the execution of phasing plans and work details of the project;
- Load and unload construction materials and move them to work areas; clean up materials;
- Support and advise PM of any operational requests/changes to project scope or phasing, as identified by Store Operations;
- Advise PM of any variances to schedule and/or material issues;
- Travel to site with required tools and equipment and help manage inventory and materials;
- Aid in receiving and consolidation of freight/deliveries (winter road and sealift);
- Install store fixtures and equipment as per NWC store layout;
- Work with Store Operations during construction;
- Supervise all trades to ensure a smooth steady building pace;
- Complete daily paperwork including timesheets, activity log, safety journal, and all other administrative forms as required;
- Driving of Telehandler and skidsteer in order to move materials;
- Maintain and enforce a clean, safe, work environment, and comply with all Health & Safety regulations.
Desired Skills & Experience:
- Post-Secondary and/or trade diploma or certificate would be considered an asset;
- Minimum of 10 years construction experience, with 3 to 4 being in a supervisory position;
- Experience with Project management tools, concepts, and software are also considered an asset;
- Experience in retail construction is an asset;
- Certification on motorized construction equipment is an asset;
- Certified Journeyperson/Red Seal considered an asset;
- Demonstrated ability to read and interpret construction plans and documents;
- Excellent written and Verbal communication skills.
- Proficient with MS Office Suite (Excel, Word, Outlook);
- Ability to effectively multi-task and prioritize;
- Must work well with others, have a willingness to learn, and maintain positive relationships;
- Must be able to lift and carry 50 - 60lbs;
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment, able to lead, have clear communication skills; and,
- Must be able to work in inclement weather; experience working in remote communities is a major asset.
Compensation & Benefits:
- NWC provides work boot allowance, required PPE and major tools, and safety training.
- Travel, accommodation, and food expenses during project work are covered.
- Employees are eligible for overtime remuneration at 1.5x the hourly rate after 80 hours; and holidays are paid at 2x the hourly rate.
- Company benefits including Health and Dental plans.
- A competitive salary is being offered along with opportunities to learn, develop and advance throughout the organization.
Location: Must be able to travel to remote communities in Northern Canada
Travel: 3 weeks on, 7 to 10 days off
Head Office: Gibraltar House - 77 Main Street, Winnipeg MB, Canada
We create a collaborative and constructive culture by:
- Being Enterprising • Committing to our Customer • Working with Passion • Leading and Developing Others • Demonstrating Respect and Inclusivity • Building Trust
The North West Company is committed to inclusion and diversity and encourages applications from all candidates including but not limited to: all religions and ethnicities, LGBTQ2s+, BIPOC, and persons with disabilities.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.