In your role as the Health and Safety Specialist, at The North West Company (NWC), you’re responsible for supporting, monitoring, and coaching field operations and the Joint Health and Safety Committees regarding health and safety policy, program, and legislative requirements.
Joining NWC gives you the opportunity for growth and development throughout the company, a competitive salary and benefits package, and to be part of a dynamic and diverse culture.
NWC is a leading retailer to under-served rural communities and urban neighborhood markets in the following regions: Northern Canada, Western Canada, rural Alaska, the South Pacific islands, and the Caribbean. Our stores offer a broad range of products and services with an emphasis on food. Our value offer is to be the best local shopping choice for everyday household and local lifestyle needs. Check out northwest.ca for more information.
- Develop, support, and promote a positive safety climate;
- Monitor, evaluate, and coach to ensure compliance to policies, programs, and legislation across NWC’s operations;
- Provide advice and guidance in the interpretation, application, and administration of the Provincial Occupational Health & Safety Acts & Regulations;
- Maintain information systems, identify trends, performance indicators, and strategies for improvement, assessing compliance, and cost implications;
- Provide guidance and expertise to minimize operational losses, health and safety risks and incidents;
- Ensure operational plans and strategies are aligned with the corporation’s health and safety strategies, policies, practices and procedures, and that they comply with legislative requirements;
- Audit and analyze work places, equipment practices and methods, noting corrective actions; and
- Provide input in communication, education, and training aimed at increasing awareness and prevention.
Desired Skills & Experience:
- Certificate, diploma or degree in a related field, preferably in Occupational Health & Safety and 2-3 years of experience in the field of health and safety;
- 1-3 years of experience developing, monitoring, and implementing health and safety programs/systems in a retail or supply chain environment;
- 1-3 years of experience supporting health and safety programs/systems across multiple geographical locations and facilities within Canada;
- Experience in research, analysis, interpretation, monitoring and implementation of safety regulations, standards, and best practices;
- Understand and have knowledge of Federal, Provincial Health and Safety Acts and Regulations;
- Experience developing and implementing programs designed to reduce accidents, injuries, and costs associated with WCB;
- Experience providing input or creating training materials to fulfill needs;
- Strong data analytical skills required;
- Experience developing and completing risk assessments, physical demands analysis and safe work procedures;
- Experience leading or facilitating root cause analysis incident investigations;
- Experience with continuous improvement tools and methodologies;
- Proficient MS Office skills (Outlook, Excel, Word, PowerPoint); and
- CRSP, CHSC, CSO or other is considered an asset.
Location: Gibraltar House, 77 Main Street, Winnipeg, MB
Reports to: Director, Employee Relations & Safety Canada
You may include your resume and cover letter together as a single document. A competitive salary is being offered along with opportunities to learn, develop and advance throughout the organization. We thank all applicants for their interest; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.