Director of Major Gifts
High Point, NC
We are currently seeking a talented and dedicated Director of Major Gifts for a great opportunity at High Point University. The ideal candidate will possess 5 years of sales, business development, or fundraising experience working in a University environment and a bachelor's degree.
About our client
High Point University
High Point University is an extraordinary and unique environment. The Office of Institutional Advancement seeks to partner with a development professional whose values and purpose align with those at HPU and who desires to identify, cultivate, solicit and steward major gift benefactors for the highest priorities of High Point University, and to manage a team of fundraisers charged with similar responsibilities. Candidates should have a proven track record of success in development/fundraising or sales/business and be skilled at working collaboratively with team members to help achieve goals. Extensive travel will be required to meet with prospective and current donors. Candidates should demonstrate a high degree of emotional intelligence and interpersonal skills. They should be goals and outcomes oriented with excellent relationship building skills.
Responsibilities of Director of Major Gifts:
- Embrace and articulate the mission and culture of High Point University and possess a strong working knowledge of its programs and departments.
- Embrace the job of fundraising for High Point University.
- Meet and exceed annual fundraising goals established by the Senior Vice President and Associate Vice President for Development.
- Manage a team of Advancement Officers focused on securing gifts in excess of $50,000.
- Assist in setting the Advancement Officers’ annual goals, in collaboration and conjunction with the Senior Vice President, Associate Vice President, and the Advancement Officers.
- Proactively identify potential major gift benefactors (including donors to annual giving clubs, as well donors capable of making gifts in excess of $50,000) among alumni, parents, staff, faculty, friends and other sources.
- Meet with, solicit, and close gifts from these donor prospects in order to meet annually established fundraising totals.
- Collaborate with senior leadership and meet regularly with Advancement Officers to plan strategy for top-level donors and develop proposals which align with the University’s top priorities and fit benefactor interests.
- Manage prospect portfolio of current and potential major gift benefactors in a disciplined, organized manner, consulting with the Associate Vice President for Development and other team members regarding strategy, development and action plan for solicitation, closure and stewardship.
- Participate as a member of the University’s overall Institutional Advancement organization in the execution of a comprehensive Institutional Advancement program.
- Ability and willingness to travel extensively and work weekends.
- Complete call reports on all prospect and donor interactions.
Requirements of Director of Major Gifts:
- 5+ years successful sales, business development, or fundraising experience, with a demonstrable record of progressive achievement, in an academic setting.
- 3+ years management experience in an academic setting
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution required.
- Basic knowledge of Raiser’s Edge or other CRM software.
- Demonstrated leadership skills and ability to think and plan strategically.
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills.