The Sr. Accountant position is accountable for recording the cost of newly-acquired fixed assets (both tangible and intangible), tracking existing fixed assets, recording depreciation, accounting for the disposition of fixed assets, month-end closing, general accounting operation, creating and verifying journal entries, providing technical support and ensuring accuracy and effectiveness in all of accounting tasks.
- Ensures that fixed assets at all locations are properly labeled and accounted for
- Records of fixed asset acquisitions and disposals in accordance with company policies and procedures
- Maintains accurate and detailed depreciation schedules
- Conducts on-site physical inventory (travel necessary) as part of internal controls as well as accompanying outside auditors during inventory counts
- Must clearly and effectively communicate company policies regarding the accounting treatment of fixed assets within the accounting department as well as other departments and upper management
- Produces monthly, quarterly and annual fixed asset roll forward schedules
- Monthly reconciliation of fixed assets sub-ledger to GL accounts
- Ability to research use tax laws of various states and ensure proper recording and treatment
- Annual property tax filings for all locations in multiple states
- Will be the lead contact in the case of property tax audits
- Provides necessary information to 3rd party tax preparers on a timely basis
- Produces forward looking CapEx and depreciation expense estimates
- Must be familiar with various GAAP depreciation methods and produces what-if comparison analysis of the different methods
- Maintains accurate construction in progress schedule
- During month, quarterly and annual close may be asked to assist with the reconciliation of other balance sheet accounts
- Works closely with construction management team as well as store personnel
- Other duties assigned by supervisor
- Maintains inventory controls and assists in counting of physical inventory by applying labels to each asset and conducting inventory counts
- Responsible for Month End closing processes and reconciliations
- Verify, allocate, post and reconcile GL and accounts payable
- Participate in financial standards setting
- Assist with tax audits and tax returns
- Support month-end and year-end close process
- Ensure compliance with GAAP principles
- Ad hoc reporting as required
- Maintains high ethical standards in the work place.
- Complies and maintains confidentiality of all company policies and procedure
- Seeks constant improvement or more efficient and less expensive ways and means in department work processes.
- Researches and develops resources that create timely and efficient workflow.
- Follows up to complete any assigned work.
- Maintains good communication with executive management, office staff members and outside contacts.
- Complies and maintains confidentiality of all company policies and procedures.
- Responsible for maintaining a clean and safe working area.
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Analytical - Uses intuition and experience to complement data.
- Problem Solving - Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; Gathers and analyzes information skillfully.
- Interpersonal - Maintains confidentiality; Listens to others without interrupting; Friendly, out-going disposition.
- Oral Communication - Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations; listens and gets clarification; responds well to questions.
- Written Communication - Writes clearly and informatively. Able to read and interpret written information.
- Presents numerical data effectively;
- Organizational Support - Follows policies and procedures; Completes tasks correctly and on time; supports Company’s goals and values.
- Adaptability - Changes approach or method to best fit the situation; Able to deal with frequent change, delays, or unexpected events.
- Attendance/Punctuality - Is consistently at work and on time; Ensures work responsibilities are covered when absent; Arrives at meetings and appointments on time.
- Initiative - Volunteers readily; Undertakes self-development activities; Seeks increased responsibilities; Takes independent actions and calculated risks; Looks for and takes advantage of opportunities; Asks for and offers help when needed.
- Judgment - Exhibits sound and accurate judgment; Displays willingness to make decisions. Supports and explains reasoning for decisions.
- Planning/Organizing - Prioritizes and plans work activities; Uses time efficiently.Professionalism - Approaches others in a tactful manner; Reacts well under pressure; Treats others with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position; Accepts responsibility for own actions; Follows through on commitments.
- Quality - Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness; Looks for ways to improve and promote quality; Applies feedback to improve performance; Monitors own work to ensure quality.
- Quantity - Meets productivity standards; Completes work in a timely manner; Strives to increase productivity; Works quickly.
- Safety and Security - Observes safety and security procedures; Determines appropriate action beyond guidelines; Reports potentially unsafe conditions; Uses equipment and materials properly.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be proficient in Excel and able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Previous experience with GP (fixed assets module specifically) preferred
- BS degree in Accounting or Finance or equivalent work experience
- Proven working experience as an Accountant for 3-5 years
- Advanced computer skills on MS Office, accounting software and databases
- Ability to manipulate large amounts of data
- Proven knowledge of GAAP, practices, standards, laws and regulations High attention to detail and accuracy
- Ability to direct and supervise
Ability to effectively communicate with management in English. Ability to interact with all levels of management.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Noise level is moderate to loud.