As a member of the Construction Crew (Site Supervisor), you will assist in the execution of The North West Company’s (NWC) construction projects, as administered by the NWC Chief Development Office. In you role you are on-site as part of the NWC construction crew, working alongside trades, and sub-contractors, to complete the projects in an efficient and economical manner. If you are hard-working, reliable, and committed to quality and productivity – this role is for you!
Joining NWC gives you the opportunity for growth and development throughout the company, a competitive salary and benefits package, and to be part of a dynamic and diverse culture. In this role, your travel expenses are reimbursed.
NWC is a leading retailer to under-served rural communities and urban neighborhood markets in the following regions: Northern Canada, Western Canada, rural Alaska, the South Pacific islands, and the Caribbean. Our stores offer a broad range of products and services with an emphasis on food. Our value offer is to be the best local shopping choice for everyday household and local lifestyle needs. Check out northwest.ca for more information.
- Assist in delivering the project as per plan in accordance with NWC standards and specifications;
- Participate in Tool Box Talks daily and communicate any safety concerns;
- Load and unload construction materials, and move them to work areas; clean up materials;
- Track your timesheets, and all other administrative forms as required;
- Advise PM of any operational requests/changes to project scope or phasing, as identified by Store Operations;
- Take direction from and support PM;
- Ensure project scope and schedule is executed;
- Advise PM of any variances to schedule and/or material issues;
- Contribute to on-site day-to-day operations for NWC projects;
- Travel to site with required tools and equipment and help manage inventory and materials;
- Aid in receiving and consolidation of freight/deliveries (winter road and sealift);
- Install store fixtures and equipment as per NWC store layout;
- Work with Store Operations during construction;
- Execute on phasing plans and work details of the project; and,
- Maintain a clean, safe work environment, and comply with all Health & Safety regulations.
Job duties include but not limited to:
- Responsible for the Daily operation and activities on site
- Supervision of all trades to ensure a smooth steady building pace
- Responsible for the enforcement of safety on site, ensuring all labourers adhere to protocols and guidelines – Safe Work Procedures, conducting and documenting regular safety meetings, ensuring proper PPE is worn at all times, daily hazard assessment.
- Accept and organize delivered materials on site in step with the progress of construction
- Daily paperwork includes -- activity log, material usage counts, safety journal, weather
- Driving of Telehandler and skidsteer in order to move materials
- Light construction may be required from time to time in order to meet deadlines – Small framing jobs, pouring small concrete pads
- Weekly planning and communication with the Project Manager to ensure proper execution of schedule
Desired Skills & Experience:
- Post Secondary and or trade diploma’s or certificates would be considered an asset;
- Experience with Project management tools, concepts, and software are also considered an asset;
- Minimum of 8 years construction experience, with 3 to 4 being in a supervisory position
- Experience in retail construction is an asset;
- Demonstrated ability to read and interpret construction plans and documents;
- Certification on motorized construction equipment is an asset;
- Excellent written and Verbal communication skills.
- Proficient with MS office – Excel, Word, Outlook;
- Ability to effectively multi-task and prioritize;
- Must work well with others, have a willingness to learn, and maintain positive relationships;
- Must be able to lift and carry 50 - 60lbs;
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment, able to lead, have clear communication skills; and,
- Must be able to work in inclement weather; experience working in remote communities is a major asset.
Location: Northern Canada, Travel and Accommodation Reimbursed – 100% Travel
Travel: 6 – 8 Weeks on, 10 days off,
Head Office: Gibraltar House, 77 Main Street, Winnipeg, MB, Canada
A competitive salary is being offered along with opportunities to learn, develop and advance throughout the organization. We thank all applicants for their interest; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.