In your role as Senior Internal Auditor at the North West Company (NWC), you will work with a team of audit professionals in developing and executing detailed audit plans to identify potential areas of risk at NWC and its subsidiaries. This will be accomplished by assessing the adequacy of internal controls, determining compliance with government regulations and internal policies and procedures, evaluating efficiency and effectiveness of operations to identify improvement opportunities, and working with business partners to ensure appropriate risk mitigation. You will also contribute to the audit plan development through participation in risk assessment and ongoing monitoring activities.
Joining NWC gives you the opportunity for growth and development throughout the Company, an attractive and competitive salary and benefits package, and to be part of a dynamic and diverse culture.
NWC is a leading retailer to under-served rural communities and urban neighbourhood markets in the following regions: Northern Canada, Western Canada, rural Alaska, the South Pacific islands, and the Caribbean. Our stores offer a broad range of products and services with an emphasis on food. Our value offer is to be the best local shopping choice for everyday household and local lifestyle needs. Check out northwest.ca for more information.
- Plan and conduct audits a part of our annual internal audit program, using an approved risk based methodology to assess the adequacy of internal controls, determine compliance with regulations and internal policies and procedures, evaluate efficiency and effectiveness of operations, and identify improvement opportunities.
- Review controls over information technology systems, security, access, integrity, and development, risk management controls and mitigation strategies;
- Cultivate business relationships and work collaboratively with operational groups and external auditors;
- Work with Director Internal Audit in the development and delivery of a risk-based audit plan for all key business units and functional areas;
- Prepare concise, insightful, and timely reports that identify internal control weaknesses and the related risks; and produce practical and executable recommendations to improve controls, mitigate risks, improve operational efficiency and reduce costs;
- Demonstrate expertise in Internal Audit methodology, professional standards, and practices and keep current on trends in internal auditing;
- Continuously improve the internal audit function to bring greater value to the business and meet the needs of internal and external stakeholders;
- Complete audit work on behalf of the external auditors to ensure proper audit coverage, elimination of duplicate effort, and ensuring the efficiency and effectiveness of internal and external audit activities; and
- Special projects as assigned.
Desired Skills & Experience:
- Post-secondary education, preferably in business, accounting, finance, or information technology;
- Minimum of 5-7 years of audit experience preferably in a large public company or public accounting firm;
- Certified Internal Auditor (CIA) and/or Certified Information Systems Auditor (CISA) designation is preferred;
- Professional accounting designation (CPA: CA, CMA or CGA) is beneficial;
- Demonstrated experience in planning and leading complex audits. Conducting systems audits is preferred;
- Knowledge of COSO, Enterprise Risk Management and National Instrument 52-109, CEO/CFO certification requirements;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, with a proven ability to effectively conduct presentations, facilitate group discussions and write reports;
- Excellent interpersonal skills, with a proven ability to build consensus at all levels of the organization, respect and give credit to diverse opinions and approaches, generate commitment to new ideas and initiatives, and handle politically-sensitive or confidential issues with tact, diplomacy and integrity;
- Demonstrated ability to identify and objectively analyze complex issues, interpret clients’ needs, and develop innovative and practical solutions;
- Strong organizational and time management skills with a proven ability to work independently;
- Experience performing data analytics and detailed reporting;
- Proficient in Windows and Microsoft applications (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint) and comfortable with learning and using multiple software programs;
- Experience in retail industry and knowledge of loss prevention is beneficial; and
- Required to travel approximately 30 to 50 days per year.
Location: Gibraltar House, 77 Main Street, Winnipeg, MB
Reports to: Director, Internal Audit
You may include your resume and cover letter together as a single document. Opportunities to learn, develop and advance throughout the organization are present. We thank all applicants for their interest; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.