Department Manager, Grocery
MUST BE ABLE TO RELOCATE TO NORTHERN CANADA
Are you a great communicator who creates team spirit and you’re welcoming with customers? The North West Company (NWC) is hiring Department Managers, Grocery for their Northern and NorthMart stores. Take your high-level retail experience and bring your skills to NWC.
Ready to embrace your direction? Joining NWC gives you the opportunity for growth and development throughout the company, a competitive salary and benefits package, and to be part of a dynamic and diverse culture. You must be able to re-locate to remote regions in Northern Canada. You receive benefits such as subsidized housing and food allowance, paid vacation travel, bonus and profit sharing opportunities, ability to bank what you earn and more! We even have, and encourage, employment opportunities for spouses.
NWC is a leading retailer to under-served rural communities and urban neighbourhood markets in the following regions: Northern Canada, Western Canada, rural Alaska, the South Pacific islands, and the Caribbean. Our stores offer a broad range of products and services with an emphasis on food. Our value offer is to be the best local shopping choice for everyday household and local lifestyle needs. Check out northwest.ca for more information. Go North.
- Ensure appropriate merchandise is ordered and properly presented to maximize sales and profits;
- Control labour and overhead costs;
- Ensure merchandise is priced correctly;
- Drive sales through promotional offerings;
- Role model great service and demonstrate your enthusiasm to delight our customers;
- Share your knowledge, experience, and best practices to create team spirit across the department;
- Achieve maximum sales and impact seasonal events, planning well and also react to changes in weather, driving opportunities;
- Monitor the level of customer service and satisfaction within the department and take action as required to address issues;
- Ensure store policies and procedures are communicated to department employees;
- Support the rest of the store management group; and
- Maintain great quality products for customers by ensuring your team follows correct product handling.
Desired Skills & Experience:
- Minimum of 5 years of related experience in a high-volume, big box grocery operation;
- Exceptional analytical, problem solving, and decision making skills with a high attention to detail;
- Proven organizational, planning, and prioritizing skills;
- Must have demonstrated ability to work both independently and within a team;
- Understand how to take special orders, offer suggestions about different products, and navigate customer experiences;
- Demonstrate a personal and enthusiastic commitment to NWC’s vision, mission, values, and strategies. You want your communities to live better;
- Highly motivated and with an appreciation for small town life, in a culturally diverse setting, is considered an asset;
- Enthusiastic desire to approach customers, ask questions, and make product and service recommendations; and
- Experience with visual merchandising, inventory management, training and development, and sales and service.
Positions will be advertised externally; however internal candidates will receive first consideration based on qualifications. NWC employees are encouraged to bring forward applications of external candidates that meet the qualifications of this position.
NOTE: If an existing employee is selected for a posted position they will be required to remain in that position a minimum of one year prior to applying for other posted positions unless authorized by their current supervisor. New employees to the company must also remain in their position a minimum of one year prior to applying for posted positions unless authorized by their supervisor.
A competitive salary is being offered along with opportunities to learn, develop and advance throughout the organization. We thank all applicants for their interest; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.