As the Human Resources Specialist at the North West Company (NWC), you will enable business partners to create and sustain a positive employee relations environment which supports a satisfied, productive, and motivated workforce. In your role you will provide expert advice, guidance, and support in areas such as employee-employer communication, change management, engagement, performance improvement, discipline, employee concern resolution, and policy interpretation.
Joining NWC gives you the opportunity for growth and development throughout the company, an attractive and competitive salary and benefits package, and to be part of a dynamic and diverse culture.
NWC is a leading retailer to under-served rural communities and urban neighbourhood markets in the following regions: Northern Canada, Western Canada, rural Alaska, the South Pacific islands, and the Caribbean. Our stores offer a broad range of products and services with an emphasis on food. Our value offer is to be the best local shopping choice for everyday household and local lifestyle needs. Check out northwest.ca for more information.
- Provide consultative services to identify causes of employee relations issues, create solutions, and facilitate implementation of action plans;
- Support and guide HR Connect employees in resolving escalated manager and employee inquiries and concerns about all HR programs and services;
- Lead and/or participate in the investigation and resolution of employee complaints, issues, and concerns regarding employment practices;
- Administer employee relations policies and procedures and monitor their application and enforcement to ensure fairness and consistency;
- Communicate and ensure understanding and compliance by managers and employees of relevant laws and regulations;
- Support and monitor the application of disciplinary policies and procedures to ensure fairness and consistency;
- Develop management capabilities to create and sustain a positive employee relations environment for employees and assist in the development of solutions to address systemic and recurring issues;
- Assist in creating and implementing change management plans that affect successful change and maximize employee engagement. Consult on best practices about change roles, impact and risk analysis, stakeholder assessments, action planning, communication, and training; and
- Establish two-way communications channels between employees and management.
Desired Skills & Experience:
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, coupled with strong interpersonal and leadership skills and the ability to establish high trust relationships;
- Minimum 3 years’ HR /Employee Relations experience required;
- Post-secondary education in HR, Commerce, or HR certification considered an asset;
- Possesses knowledge of employment Legislation;
- Strong coaching and consulting skills;
- Strong service orientation and management skills;
- Proven negotiating skills and ability to win support for ideas and initiatives;
- Ability to effectively organize, prioritize and handle multiple assignments simultaneously, as well as work well under pressure and time constraints;
- Critical thinker and able to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions and approaches to problems;
- High degree of flexibility to successfully adapt to changing priorities; comfortable with ambiguity;
- Sensitive to diverse and local cultures in the communities in which we operate;
- Proficient in Microsoft Office, with a focus on Outlook, Excel, Word, and PowerPoint; and
- Ability to communicate in French is considered an asset.
- Must be available to travel up to 60 days per year.
Location: Gibraltar House, 77 Main Street, Winnipeg, MB
Reports to: Manager, Human Resources
We create a collaborative and constructive culture by:
- Being Enterprising • Committing to our Customer • Working with Passion • Leading and Developing Others • Demonstrating Respect and Inclusivity • Building Trust
The North West Company is committed to inclusion and diversity and encourages applications from all candidates including but not limited to: all religions and ethnicities, LGBTQ2s+, BIPOC, and persons with disabilities.
You may include your resume and cover letter together as a single document. A competitive salary is being offered along with opportunities to learn, develop and advance throughout the organization. We thank all applicants for their interest; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.