Being unique is something to be celebrated. Embrace differences. Challenge and learn from each other. The extraordinary comes from different experiences and different lives. It brings us closer. We embrace the culture and languages of our nations’ first peoples and live together under the northern lights. The great communities that we’re a part of are rich with history and amazing people. We are the North West Company!
RECRUITER / TALENT SPECIALIST
Winnipeg; or remote
The North West Company (NWC) is a 353 year old Canadian icon and a leading retailer to amazing northern communities –large and small. With over 130 stores, we strive to make a positive difference within each community we proudly serve. We bring products and services that help the lives of our community members. We are a community hub that offers a broad range of quality products, services and food.
Bottom line, you are passionate about your fellow humans! As a people person who thrives on good conversation, you are an excellent judge of character and have strong intuition. You are able to identify and understand an issue and then take initiative to find a creative solution. Diversity and different cultures are fascinating to you. You like to make a difference and you need meaning in your work. To be successful in the role, you need to be self-motivated, pragmatic, and very organized. Multi-tasking is a piece of cake for you, and you can switch gears easily. You are adaptable and empathic, an excellent listener and someone who asks good questions. You like that every day is different and you have to manage whatever is thrown at you. In short, you’re a super star!
Leading By Example
No two days are the same in this roll-up-your-sleeves role! Our internal operations colleagues are our customers, and meeting their people needs is our top priority. With responsibility for all aspects of the recruitment process, here’s a snapshot of what to expect:
- Learn all you can about the NWC and its retail stores in Canada and develop an authentic and energetic pitch to attract new talent
- Motivate your team members and hiring managers through active collaboration
- Help people take a ‘leap of faith’ in moments of uncertainty by building trusting relationships with candidates
- Develop strong internal bonds across departments to foster your knowledge and build cross-collaborations
- Build your arsenal of internal policies and information to confidently lead candidates through the learning and hiring process
- Participate in career fairs, liaise with external agencies, and manage employee referral program
- Stay informed and current about recruitment best practices and share with team members
- Apply lessons and experiences to real-time adjustments to process and practice
- Actively participate in managing the NWC brand through recruitment activities and tools; promote our unique value proposition and affirm our position in the markets we serve
- Use analytics to inform how to be most efficient and effective
- Be nimble in interviews by using different techniques such as behavioral-based, competency-based and scenario building.
- Efficiently source, assess, select and integrate new hires
- Screen resumes, conduct interviews, recommend candidates for further consideration and hire
- Manage employment offers, and oversee and manage the onboarding process with candidates that are hired
- Actively participate in process improvement initiatives and continuous improvement projects
- Take pride in hitting targets
Why You’re Right for NWC!
We look for leaders at all levels with a preference for retail in their background. As recruitment is truly a transferrable skill, we know if you have the background we can teach you the rest. Below is our wish list:
- An undergraduate degree, ideally in business, human resources or a related discipline or an equivalent combination of education/training and experience
- Strong computer skills, especially Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, Outlook)
- Experience with using an Applicant Tracking System
- 5+ years of experience in staff recruiting, ideally in a fast paced, customer driven, multi-unit business
- Understanding of and experience with recruitment channels, processes, systems and tools; retail experience preferred
- Extensive interviewing and sourcing experience
- Proven track record of achieving goals and targets
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to foster strong relationships and partnerships
- Demonstrated success in working independently and within a team
- Excellent communication skills both verbal and written
- Excellent time management, organization and multi-tasking skills
- Positive and optimistic attitude, even in the face of adversity
While this is an office-based role, hours may fluctuate depending on candidate availability
Reports to: Manager, Recruitment
Travel may be required in this role, but is not expected to exceed 10% of your time
The NorthWest Company prides itself on hiring and employment practices defined by equality and inclusion. Candidates who require accommodation, please notify Human Resources on a confidential basis. All candidates are welcome to apply, but only those legally eligible to work in Canada will be considered.