We are an investment adviser with approximately $32 billion in assets under management, clients include endowments, foundations, corporations, mutual funds and pension plans. Our company, based in Los Angeles overseeing domestic value equity and high yield portfolios for clients worldwide, is seeking a Compliance Manager to join their 4 person Compliance Department. This position will oversee two Senior Compliance Associates and report directly to the Chief Compliance Officer.
The responsibilities of the Compliance Department include: reviewing and implementing policies, procedures and practices to ensure compliance with clients’ portfolio restrictions and relevant laws/regulations; staying abreast of changes to federal and state investment advisory and securities laws and regulations; working with other departments to ensure adherence to laws and regulations. As part of the compliance program, the Compliance Department also performs periodic testing to determine the operating effectiveness of the firm’s policies and procedures. Therefore, this position requires strong investment management industry knowledge and accounting/auditing skills. In addition, the individual should have significant experience in overseeing a trade compliance and employee trading monitoring systems.
Specific duties include but are not limited to:
- Manage the firm’s daily compliance responsibilities, which include (1) trade reviews to determine compliance with client account guidelines and regulatory requirements using Charles River Investment Management and Bloomberg Trading Systems; (2) monitoring of employee trades using SchwabCT; and 3) reviewing other trade/portfolio investing activities. The Manager will also be expected to perform certain daily compliance monitoring responsibilities as well as serve as a back-up to the Senior Compliance Associates.
- Complete and/or review monthly investment guideline checklists to ensure compliance with client investment guidelines and regulatory requirements.
- Perform annual compliance reviews of the firm’s policies and procedures, including trade allocations, best execution reviews, etc.
- Complete periodic compliance reporting and draft “client ready” responses to due diligence questionnaires.
- Review marketing and advertising materials for adherence to SEC regulations and guidance.
- Identify and resolve independently the interpretation of investment guidelines or laws/regulations.
- Develop procedures and controls to enhance the firm’s existing control environment, including use of technology to monitor investment activities and regulatory requirements.
- Interpret and communicate internal policies and procedures and regulatory requirements to portfolio management, trading, operations, marketing/client service and other departments, as necessary
- Problem-solve, research, and analyze information on compliance matters impacting the firm’s business activities.
- Bachelor’s degree (accounting major or background in auditing/accounting would be favorably looked upon).
- 10 years minimum experience in investment management compliance, including 2-3 years of supervisory experience.
- Significant working experience in Charles River Investment Management and/or Bloomberg trading systems is required.
- Outstanding initiative, self-starter, strong work ethic and integrity.
- Attention to detail with strong problem solving, analytical and organizational skills
- Proven ability to successfully work both independently and in a team, and interact effectively at all levels.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills are essential.
- Strong proficiency in software applications, especially Microsoft Excel.