In your role as Category Manager, at The North West Company International (NWCI), you source, price, and market product to profitably grow the department to the gross profit line.
Joining NWCI gives you the opportunity for growth and development throughout the company, an attractive and competitive salary and benefits package, and to be part of a dynamic and diverse culture.
NWCI is a leading retailer to under-served rural communities and urban neighborhood markets in the following regions: Northern Canada, Western Canada, rural Alaska, the South Pacific islands, and the Caribbean. Our stores offer a broad range of products and services with an emphasis on food. Our value offer is to be the best local shopping choice for everyday household and local lifestyle needs. Check out northwest.ca for more information.
- To continually evaluate all available vendors and select the appropriate vendors based on the following criteria: cost, terms, service level, time in transit (cost of interest and necessary inventory level), and quality;
- Establish the appropriate retail prices to attain the budgeted gross profit;
- Ensure all necessary tasks are done each month to make sure Gross Profit budgets are met for each period;
- Develop strategic marketing plans including advertising, in-store specials, promotional, and special buys;;
- Perform category assessments on all categories and implement changes necessary as outlined in the plan. Category plans must be done once a year with a chosen vendor partner, assigning roles, strategies, and goals that meet format strategies. All major financial performance goals include profitable sales, costing, pricing, and assortment;
- Assist in setting the initial sales, gross margin, and inventory forecasts used in developing the final operating budget. Put plans in place to meet monthly budgets as outlined through retail management, vendor rebates, and markdown management;
- Learn all aspects of system reporting tools required to perform job duties;
- Responsible for supervising the department(s) Category Manager Assistant and Assistant Category Manager;
Desired Skills & Experience:
Location: Boca Raton, Florida
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent or equivalent combination of education and experience;
- Minimum of 5 years of retail management experience and/or previous purchasing experience with food products;
- Ability to operate computer systems proficiently, specifically the MS Office Suite, including Excel;
- Strong analytical skills and ability to manage multiple priorities;
- Ability to set priorities for yourself and to manage the priorities of your subordinates;
- Strong problem solving skills and the ability to teach and monitor the performance of your subordinates;
- Great interpersonal and management skills with strong attention to detail;
- Strong Financial acumen;
- Strong attention to details and time management
- Strong time management and adherence to both Category and Company goals and deadlines; and
- Ability to set priorities based on workload.
Positions will be advertised externally; however internal candidates will receive first consideration based on qualifications. Employees are encouraged to bring forward applications of external candidates that meet the qualifications of this position.
A competitive salary is being offered along with opportunities to learn, develop and advance throughout the organization. We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.