In your role as a Manager, Store Development at The North West Company (NWC), you will analyze potential opportunities for growth, through expansion of established NWC banners (NCR, ACC, CUL, Riteway), and explore new acquisitions, using market research; via on-site visits, and gathering of information with tools such as PC Census. You will assess renewal projects for profitability and assist with negotiating terms, assist the Real Estate department with complex renewals or high profile projects, and work with the Lease Administrator to ensure assigned lease renewals and expirations are closely monitored.
Joining NWC gives you the opportunity for growth and development throughout the company, a competitive salary and benefits package, and to be part of a dynamic and diverse culture.
NWC is a leading retailer to under-served rural communities and urban neighbourhood markets in the following regions: Northern Canada, Western Canada, rural Alaska, the South Pacific islands, and the Caribbean. Our stores offer a broad range of products and services with an emphasis on food. Our value offer is to be the best local shopping choice for everyday household and local lifestyle needs. Check out northwest.ca for more information.
- Research growth opportunities for established NWC banners in accordance with department initiatives and planning;
- Take on accountability of new store growth for all banners, and acquire new stores to add to our existing store base;
- Perform lease evaluations, and prioritize where evaluation dictates future prosperity;
- Monitor lease renewals; provide constant communication with landlords;
- Negotiate leases for new growth opportunities with landlords in accordance with established research, policies and procedures;
- Assume accountability of pharmacy acquisitions, new pharmacies in existing NCR, as well as in new NCR (Northern Canada Retail) markets;
- Develop strong relationships with the store development/Real Estate industry to ensure all potential opportunities for stores are being presented;
- Create and maintain strong relationships with chief and counsel from different bands, & other potential business partners.
Desired Skills & Experience:
- Must possess a university degree with a major in Finance and/ or Marketing preferred;
- Professional Accounting designation, along with formal training in investment analysis and commercial law considered an asset;
- Working knowledge of landlord/tenant agreements and real estate property transactions;
- Ability to conduct financial statement analysis and investment return analysis;
- Market research and statistics experience, with an emphasis on population and income projections;
- Experience in northern markets and an understanding of the political, social and economic conditions considered an asset;
- Excellent interpersonal skills complimented by an ability to develop and manage long-term business relationships with a diverse group of people across a wide geographic range;
- Ability to manage multiple projects and tasks at once while adhering to strict timelines;
- Strong organizational and time management skills; and
- Must be able to travel up to 80 days per year.
Location: Gibraltar House, 77 Main Street, Winnipeg, MB
Reports to: Real Estate Department
A competitive salary is being offered along with opportunities to learn, develop and advance throughout the organization. We thank all applicants for their interest; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.